Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Sugar Detox Day 1: Assess Your Intake

Posted by   + Show Post

The American Heart Association reports that the average American adult consumes 22 teaspoons of added sugar (added, meaning not the sugar that naturally occurs in foods like fruit) each day, or 150 lbs -- 150 lbs! -- of sugar per year. Their recommended amount? 6 teaspoons per day. (One teaspoon of granulated sugar equals about 4 grams -- 4.2 to be exact -- of sugar. Thanks, Razmataz426, for letting us know!)

Added sugar is found in packaged foods like cookies, cakes, and candy, and drinks like soda, sports drinks, and fruit juices. It’s also in less obvious things like breads, salad dressings, and frozen dinners. Basically, sugar is lurking everywhere, and it may be the reason you can’t lose those last 10 lbs, why you’re feeling tired, or the cause of your sugar cravings. All this sugar is just not good for us!

So, how do you know how much added sugar you’re consuming? Start a food diary.

Today, keep a detailed record of everything that crosses your lips: meals, beverages, including your morning coffee (as well as how much sugar and cream you add), snacks, gum, etc, and keep track of the total grams of sugar listed on any packaged foods you eat. For foods and drinks you’re not sure about, try looking up their nutritional information here.

You can start your food diary in the replies below and include whatever you've eaten so far today; then stop back each time you eat or drink anything. This will help you learn to keep track of how much sugar you're taking in on a daily basis, and give you a place to continue keeping track throughout the rest of our detox as we eliminate the worst of the sugary offenders. Also, please note: plain fresh or frozen fruit does not count.

So, how much sugar are YOU eating? Tell us in the replies below!

icecreamTo sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Replies (51-60):
ballerina.2006
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
No food yet..
Amanda52007
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I had Dannon yogurt with granola for breakfast.

Whole grain bread with turkey, ham, cheese, mayo, mustard, and spinach. Cheetos as a side. Lol

I'm trying to count my calories right now but I know I need to count sugar intake also :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momyarb
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I try to stay under 25 grams daily. So far, I've had 2 cups of coffee with sugar free creamer. I am getting ready to have 1 serving (1/4 dry) oat bran cereal with 1 packed tsp of brown sugar, plus a tsp of ground flaxseed and 1/8 of a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, for a total of 4 grams of sugar.

sjump25
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Does fruit sugar count in your daily sugar?  I eat a lot of fruit :/

momyarb
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Dannon light and fit is great, but the sugar kills! Eleven grams :( I had to stop while trying to lose weight. Good luck on your sugar detox :)

Quoting Amanda52007:

I had Dannon yogurt with granola for breakfast.

Whole grain bread with turkey, ham, cheese, mayo, mustard, and spinach. Cheetos as a side. Lol

I'm trying to count my calories right now but I know I need to count sugar intake also :(

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 31, 2012 at 12:23 PM
I have had a bannana and 1 egg scrambled.
2 glasses of water and 1 cup of coffee. I do add a little vanillia creamer and that had 3 grams of sugar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GinaCab3

Breakfast :Triple berry buckle (used sweetened applesauce), Banana bread (also used applesauce), Black tea - no sugar

desparza23

well you will find no granulated sugar in my house, we use Splenda, so all my sugar would be from additives, so here goes

breakfast:

3 slices bread

peanut butter

blueberry perserves

water

Lunch:

2 pc fried chicken (breast & wing)

4 pc tator logs

crystal light tea with lemon

Aphrodisiac
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM

SO far I woke up 3 a.m. and had 2 packages of Swiss Cake Rolls

Then 2 cups of coffee with cream & sugar

2 eggs 2 1/2 slices of white toast

16 oz of water

sexydiva4279
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Only had waffles with natural peanut butter and trop 50 OJ for breakfast and I only have 9 sugar grams left. Guess I'll be more careful the rest of the day. This isn't going to be easy lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)