Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sugar Detox Day 3: Ditch the Diet

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 144 Replies
2 moms liked this

“Diet” sodas and drinks sound like a great idea, but it turns out they may be just as bad as the real thing -- or worse! They’re typically made with chemical flavors and sweeteners to make up for the missing sugar, and these artificial ingredients may actually cause you to crave more sweets and maybe even gain weight.

So start phasing “diet” drinks out. Finish or donate what you have and vow not to buy more.

If you’re thirsty for soda, try seltzer with lemon, cucumber, or even watermelon! Or try adding a splash 100% fruit juice for a tasty spritzer. 

Unsweetened iced tea is also very refreshing and you can find teas in many flavors like peach, raspberry, or pomegranate.

And don’t forget water! Jazz it up with lemon, lime, cucumber, grapes, melon -- whatever! Ahhh so refreshing!

It may be hard at first, but you'll eventually find you don't crave sweet -- or artificially sweet -- drinks the way did.

Do you drink diet soda or other diet beverages? Which ones will be the hardest to give up? Have you given up diet soda in the past? What helped you?

drinkingIf you missed yesterday's detox activity, click here. To sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tamidawn
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Diet drinks are gross.   I have been drinking more water latey.  :-)

workinm0mmy
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Ugh. Yes I drink diet cola for my caffiene fix. I bought some sparkling flavored waters that have no artificial sugars to try to use as replacements but I know ditching the diet coke will be hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aphrodisiac
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM

:( I only have one can of Diet Coke a Day at the most. I drink mainly all water. This makes me sad, Diet Coke is my favorite.

Juanita679
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
bump

annaica
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
i stay away from fake sugar because i learned in anatomy and physiology that the body actually takes longer to break down the complex chains.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurbabe82
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't drink soda often. I may have one diet pepsi or diet dr. pepper once a week. But I like to use those sugar free water flavors like crystal light and walmart has their own brand. Those will be hard for me to give up as I don't like plain water :(

kgmmw
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I am not a fan of diet sodas. I have cut regular soda out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM
I would give up diet coke and have given it up. I just replaced it with some good h2o.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I dont like diet soda at all, I would rather drink water

StephanAndCoral
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I quit all sodas in April I want to lose weight, I am at risk for diabetes ( almost everyone in my family has it), and 2 of my drs are talking weightloss surgery if I do that I will have to be off carbonated beverages. Why not start now?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)