Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sugar Detox Day 4: Stock Up on Sugarless Snacks

Posted by   + Show Post

Now that you’ve got an idea of how much sugar you’re eating and where it’s coming from, and you’ve given up or have a plan to give up the worst of the worst, stock up on healthier alternatives!

Most veggies have little to no sugar in them and they're full of nutrients and fiber (see a list of the veggies that are lowest in sugar here). So go to town! You can even dip them: try peanut butter (no sugar added, of course!), hummus, or mix greek yogurt with garlic and chopped fresh or dried dill for a super flavorful, Greek-style dip. (If you buy bottled dip or salad dressing, be sure to check the sugar grams first -- you might be surprised!)

Nuts are another great option for snacking as they're tasty and full of protein. Just be sure to stick to the serving size so you’re not mindlessly munching tons of extra calories. Air-popped popcorn is delicious sprinkled with a little parmesan and pepper. And check out these other great ideas for low-sugar snacks recommended by nutritionist Joy Bauer.

If you know you can’t live without sweets, buy fresh or frozen fruits first, natural apple sauce (no sugar added), and dark chocolate in small, individually wrapped pieces. Some other sweet snack ideas include: Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey or fresh fruit mixed in, fresh berries with a little whipped cream, or apples dipped in peanut or almond butter. Dried fruit is delicious too, but it is high in sugar so be sure to stick to the recommended serving size.

What kinds of stuff will you stock up on? Do you have any great naturally sweet treats to tell us about?

appleIf you missed yesterday's detox activity, click here. To sign up for the 7 Day Sugar Detox, click here.

by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (71-80):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Raw cashews seem to satisfy my sweet cravings.  Red grapes are yummy too when they're in season and are super sweet. Hunza raisins are another go-to sweet snack for me

rosiemendo
Have a great Easter week-end, my friends!
Yesterday at 7:08 AM
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I am so having a hard time!  Yesterday, I had carrot cake for breakfast/lunch.  Later, I had homemade chili, Pillsbury crescents w/butter.  Then we visited friends where I had salted popcorn, chips, and a small piece of chocolate cake.  Of course I had my black coffee, too, throughout the day.  I have all of the above things listed and the cakes are gone, so hopefully, I will eat the better stuff today.  I'm not giving up.......yet!

bertie4
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I love fruit, carrots, peanut butter.  I may gain pounds eating these!  I will try to watch my portions.

letstalk747
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

unsalted sunflower seeds

othermom
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

We love fresh fruits and veggies. Plus frozen ones. I also have some stuff in our garden. We stock up on carrots, celery, tomatos, strawberries,ect

othermom
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Quoting letstalk747:

unsalted sunflower seeds

those are great

mrscycklops
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Love veggies. I can sit down and eat through an entire bag of snap peas in one sitting! lol Spinach salads, cucumbers, broccoli, brussel sprouts are also amongst my faves.

hockytwndhampyr
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I like pretty much any kind of fruit, though apples and berries are my favorites.

annaica
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
i love veggies with hummus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
honey and peanut butter on whole grain toast is my treat :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)