seems innocent enough -- it IS made out of tomatoes, right? -- but did
you know that 1 tablespoon of ketchup contains 3 grams of sugar? And
nobody eats just 1 tablespoon of that stuff! Some other eye-openers:
- BBQ sauce: 2 tablespoons = 9 grams of sugar
- Sweet pickle relish: 1 tablespoon = 4 grams of sugar
- Strawberry Jam: 1 tablespoon = 12 grams of sugar
- Pancake syrup: ¼ cup = 32 grams of sugar
- Marinara sauce: ½ cup = 11 grams of sugar
Try flavoring foods with herbs and spices instead of adding sauces. Make your own salad dressing with lemon juice and olive oil, and your own simple tomato sauce with chopped onions and garlic, canned diced tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper, and whatever herbs you like such as basil, rosemary, or parsley. Use fresh sliced berries to top pancakes, and dip fries (home baked, of course!) in vinegar or mayo mixed with garlic and herbs -- YUM!
What condiments do you use most often? What are your ideas for replacements? Please share your suggestions!