Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meals PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 22 Replies
I would really like to try and go all week with out cooking pasta or rice. Just meat, vegetables, and fruit. Any suggestions? What recipes would you recommend? I'm going to try to go grocery shopping tonight. I need 3 meals a day for 3 people, 2 nights I need something that my bf can just throw in the oven or can cook in the crock pot for when I work. Oh and I hate beans, maybe it's the texture I don't know.

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reneawesley
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Chicken chili is good. I make it in the Crockpot. There are several things you can make un it without rice or pasta.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Pork chops and sweet potatoes...my hubby loves that!

Grilled chicken with pineapple and fresh green beans with almonds on top...yummy!

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

roast, potatoes, carrots in the crockpot.

BonneVie
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I make grilled potatoes a lot when I grill. Even the kids love them. Slice 2 Idaho potatoes into half inch thick slices. Drop them in boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain and cool slightly. Toss them with 2 tbsp olive oil and Mrs. Dash (or salt and pepper) and grill 3-4 minutes on each side.

We have salads 3-4 nights a week. We also like steamed artichokes, roasted garlic heads, glazed carrots, skinny mashed potatoes (low sodium chicke stock instead of milk), tomatoes topped with bslsamin vinegar, grilled squashes (done like the potatoes above), and grilled veggie kebabs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BonneVie
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
For meat...

Grilled chicken tacos
Chicken and veggie stirfry
Salmon kebabs
Turkey meatloaf
Beef and Black Bean Burgers
Turkey BBQ joes
Oven Fried Chicken
BBQ chicken quesadillas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunflowerMom10
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Thanks guys, these are great ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Quinoa is a nice replacement to rice. Honestly unless the pasta/rice is the meal, I rarely make it anymore. Usually make extra veggie sides like zucchini ribbons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM

When I do this (and it's pretty frequent --we've kind of gone off 'filler' foods) I pick three or four different vegetables (different colours, different types) and have one plain, one sauced and one mixed with something else (like ratatoulli or succotache) --or one barbequed, one shredded and raw like slaw, and one just cooked.

I find it's the variety that compensates for the missing piece, not just the volume. More of one thing (bigger pile of peas or whatever) doesn't help at all.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I just bought some quinoa...gonna try it this week!

Quoting e-doolittle:

Quinoa is a nice replacement to rice. Honestly unless the pasta/rice is the meal, I rarely make it anymore. Usually make extra veggie sides like zucchini ribbons.

SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

You still need grains in your diet, so IMO it's important not to go without.    

We don't eat meat so I can't give you meal suggestions.  Unless your family would eat chili.  You could make a large pot chili.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)