Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms: How do you find time to work out???

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

I need ideas!  I need to do something.  But I dont want to go to a gym after 10 hour shifts.  It just feels wrong to spend an extra hour away from my kids...So, give me some ideas!  What do you do?  Creative ideas welcome!  Im so busy I feel like working out wastes time that I could be doing other household things.  :/

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I usually get up and without before work. I get up between 4am and 5am depending on what I want to do. In the cooler months, I work out on my lunch break. I'll also do DVD when the baby goes to bed. I'll be the first to tell you though my house is usually a mess. Not dirty, just messy. :)

I pick my battles. I've learned I don't have to do it all, all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM
And working out is not a waste of time. I know I need it for my sanity!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jody230
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to think it was bad to spend the time away from my kids too. I bought a treadmill at a yardsale so I could work out at home. I thought I'd put dinner in the oven and workout. The only problem was it seemed that I never had time. No sooner would I get o the treadmill, then someone was needing something (husband included). I ended up getting a gym membership from a small gym I drove by on the way home. I spend 45 minutes a day there. It is a good break between work and home. I find that when I get home I am more able to focus on the kids, without being stressed from the work day.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM
My dh goes in the morning 1st ting everyday. But if that doesn't work for you, take the kids on a walk with you in the evenings. Find a route with hills and push the LO's in a stroller. Or could you exercise during a lunch break?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ebmb03
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I am also a working mother, so when i get home, i wait for the sun to go down some and take my 3 year old for a walk.  I don't think he likes to be cooped up in the house from 7am to 5:30 pm.  I put my running shoes on just in case.

OHgirlinCA
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I have a 8 pound medicine ball, stability ball, and a playground ball.  I also have dumbbells.  I have a subscription to Women's Health magazine and I rip out the workouts in there and place them in a binder.  I also do the Physique 57 DVD's.  I usually work out for 30-60 minutes depending on what's going on with my kids that day, before I start dinner.

I think it's important to take the time to workout.  It takes alot of dedication too.  There are many days I have to force myself to do it.  I think about wearing a bikini.  That usually does the trick.  My kids will do it with me sometimes. 

bobbiejoweber
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I'm lucky enough to be able to workout during my lunch hour at work.  We have classes offered and I do TurboKick or I go for a run and lift weights.. but on days that i can't work out during lunch I will do TurboFire or ChaLEAN Extreme in the morning before work.  If you can't do it before work do it after work even if your kids are around.  If you are doing a workout DVD and someone needs something pause it and then resume.  It's kind of a pain but at least you are still getting a workout in.  Not only that but you're teaching your children that exercise is important.  Maybe they could even do a little bit of it with you?  Pending ages of course :-)  

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM
There are alot of ten minute workouts online. I try to get creative and really move when I play with DS. Wee have dance parties, be human race cars, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM

i work full time but i make my own hours so i leave the office at 3pm, get home by 330 or so and then i work out.  

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

mp3mom
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

You could involve your kids in your workouts. Even if they're doing something age appropriate, you're teaching them healthy habits as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)