Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Bone Health?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Jen
  • 13 Replies
Do you worry about your bone health? My gma is always on me about drinking milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Well, not really I suppose...maybe I should.

cleanaturalady
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM

My mother and sister both have osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis, plus, I have had a degenerative bone disease that caused me to have to have both hips replaced, so I make sure I get that calcium and other bone health supplements in me every day. 

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I have parathyroid issues.  The parathyroid control calcium and phosphorus absorbsion.  Since I have hypoparathyroidism, I have to be careful of my calcium.  I have had a bone density (at age 36) because of the parathyroid issue and family history of osteoporosis.  Unfortunately, too much cow's milk causes me to have kidney stones.  I get good calcium supplement from my local health food store.

reneawesley
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Not really but I should
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

No.

And milk won't help.

Bone health turns out to be related to a LOT of factors, none of them are about milk.

When astronauts are in zero-gravity, they can drink all the milk they can swallow, and they still pee out the calcium from their bones. They can take all the vitamin D and calcium and milk they can swallow, and still their bones become thin and frail.

This was more than 30 years of effort to get enough calcium (which takes up a LOT of space) into them so their bones would stop thinning.

What works is weight bearing exercise. Period. So NASA developed the rubber band 'resistance' training they all have to use for several HOURS a day, to keep from losing 1/2 (or more) of their bone mass.

It's a good idea to avoid drinking a lot of phosphorus-laden pop, too --it leeches calcium from bones to keep your blood acid levels stable.

But milk is irrelevant to the entire issue.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Interesting...as always:)

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

And milk won't help.

Bone health turns out to be related to a LOT of factors, none of them are about milk.

When astronauts are in zero-gravity, they can drink all the milk they can swallow, and they still pee out the calcium from their bones. They can take all the vitamin D and calcium and milk they can swallow, and still their bones become thin and frail.

This was more than 30 years of effort to get enough calcium (which takes up a LOT of space) into them so their bones would stop thinning.

What works is weight bearing exercise. Period. So NASA developed the rubber band 'resistance' training they all have to use for several HOURS a day, to keep from losing 1/2 (or more) of their bone mass.

It's a good idea to avoid drinking a lot of phosphorus-laden pop, too --it leeches calcium from bones to keep your blood acid levels stable.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM
I think that my grandmother was brainwashed by the dairy council if you really want my opinion! LOL

But I didn't know that the astronauts lost that much bone mass - how long does it take for that to happen?

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

And milk won't help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Well milk as you get it from the store certainly isn't going to help... I am going to start taking cod liver oil and butter oil together for teeth health. I am sure it will help my bones as well... Vit d is suppose to help bone health which the CL/butter oil blend has.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:09 AM

It starts after a couple of days. Bone mass really, really is a 'use it or lose it' deal.

You're completely right about the brainwashing --in Canada, the Dairy Bureau very helpfully supplies 100% of the teaching materials to all high school foods courses and all nutritionist and dietician programs. 

Oops. Did they mention that milk is a mandatory human food that all people will die suddenly without? Uh, pretty much, yup.

Quoting mypbandj:

I think that my grandmother was brainwashed by the dairy council if you really want my opinion! LOL

But I didn't know that the astronauts lost that much bone mass - how long does it take for that to happen?

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

And milk won't help.

mp3mom
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Calcium is important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)