Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Onions are toxic???

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 31 Replies

Hi ladies, just joined this group today and thought I would share something I learned this morning. I could not believe it. If anyone would like a copy of the email posted to them, let me know. The bottom line, is that if you use onions to cook with, do not save the left over for another day. Apparently they become quickly infested with bacteria once they have been cut open. Even if you ziplock them and refrigerate, not good! Has anyone else heard of this???

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I have. They also have healing power. You can cut onions in half and leave them out to absorb germs in the home over night.

I freeze my leftover onions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Wow...I did not know that...thanks for sharing!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting...thanks!

Quoting e-doolittle:

I have. They also have healing power. You can cut onions in half and leave them out to absorb germs in the home over night.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Are you talking about green onions or bulb onions?  Cut, raw bulb onions are highly acidic & acidic conditions usually limit bacterial growth.  Green onions on the other hand (aka: long onions or scallions) , have often been linked to food poisoning.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

In my checking about the original post I came across stuff about the claims that they absorb germs.  Some people swear it's true but much of what I found says it's an old wives tale/myth.   I also read about some old superstitions that leaving a cut onion out is bad luck.    That said, onions (and garlic) do have medicinal qualities such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, & antibacterial properties.

This site explains it way better than I ever could:  http://www.hoax-slayer.com/onions-flu-remedy.shtml

Quoting e-doolittle:

Ganomama
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hey I just read the same article. It's hard to know who to believe sometimes! The information I received was provided by a chemist from Mullins Food Products.  (He explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!)

So what are we to believe!

steffielou_who
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM
You can also use them to kill the burning pain you get from bee stings.. My grand maw used to cut open an onion and make me hold it on my bee stings..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Interesting!

Quoting steffielou_who:

You can also use them to kill the burning pain you get from bee stings.. My grand maw used to cut open an onion and make me hold it on my bee stings..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
We put them in the fridge after they're cut and have never had problems
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I can't eat onions.

I mean, I eat them but onions and pretty much anything related causes my face to itch :-/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN