Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

At what age did....

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM
  • 29 Replies

your hair start going gray?

I ask because, a little over a month ago I went to get my hair done.  She pointed out that I had a couple gray hairs.  The way she said it was so happy and perky, almost as if she was happy to have found them.  I don't dye my hair anymore which means it's just going to go gray and EVERYONE is going to see it.

I wanted to be okay with getting older.  I see people around me so upset about their age and I didn't want that to happen to me.  But ever since she told me about the gray I've just been in a slump.  I've been extra miserable, I don't eat as well as I use to, I quit exercising (up until 2 days ago) and I hate all my clothes.  I feel run down, I'm tired, I'm sad, I feel... old.

I'm sure I'm overreacting.  Everyone around me seems to dye their hair so the gray can't be seen.  I don't want to do that but if I don't... I'll be the only one with gray hair.  I'm only 26 so I was surprised to hear it.  I've found 2 since that day which is not a lot.

Anyway... I guess I'm just afraid it's all going to end now.  My mom is only in her early 50's but she seems so old.  She's out of shape, unhappy most of the time.  I guess I'm scared that's going to happen.  I know this is silly but I've been working so hard to take care of myself so I don't get that way and now, I'm turning into everything I've been trying to avoid and it's all because of these two gray hairs!

:'(

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reneawesley
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM
I found one when I turned 30 but haven't found anymore and I'm all for dying. I refuse to get old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I'm 29 and I haven't found any yet...............  Once I do, I wil dye my hair. I'm won't be sporting grey until I'm much older. Maybe I'm superficial but whatever.

JadsW
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM
18. Runs in my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I am, ehhm, 50. I really don't feel old at all. Although I feel as though I've earned every single year, for some reason, the "turning points" (i.e. 30, 40, 50) seemed to bother me, lol. I think I got my first gray in my thirties somewhere. Two aren't anything.

If the grays are bothering you to the point that you're in such a slump, pull them out :) Lol! You're not old! Go buy a new top or two.

There's nothing wrong with a few highlights around your face; it might brighten your looks, and your spirits as well, my friend. OMG, I could be your mother... now I do feel old!

I found this:http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/why-does-hair-turn-gray.htm

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM
bump

raegan1221
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I am 28 and I found a few last year underneath.

robynlo77
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I will be 35 this year, and have had some random gray hairs since turning 30.

Over the last year, I have had to color to cover the noticable gray's!

Motherhento10
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I am in my 40s, I started going gray with a vengeance at 21. I started dying my hair at 30. You do what ever you choose with your hair but "age" TRULY is a state of mind. I have a friend who is 28 & has a horrible attitude, is out of shape, frumpy and miserable. She "acts" like she is in her 90's. I have a friend who really IS in her 90's. She's vibrant, energetic, stylish, active, happy etc- she "acts" 28...

NiCo86
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

True story!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Probably around my mid 30's but i'm totally guessing.  I'm 41 now and have a few greys here and there but you have to be right in my head to see it.  Honestly, i don't notice it.   My mother has greys mostly around her temple but ol' girl dyes her hair.  But she doesn't mind the grey.  

You are NOT your mother, even though you were born from her.  I'd say the way you're living you life now shows that you're doing things differently.  Don't fret about it.  And if you really want to cover them, try using henna powder in your hair. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)