Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this natural? (a little TMI)

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM
  • 19 Replies

I am in a cast, have been for over a month now. I broke my ankle. 

Anyways I was scratching it a little (where it wouldn't hurt and it wouldn't go too far into my cast). I then realized that dead skin was coming off like it was snowing.

Can this be due to me not being able to get my cast wet and not being able to wash my leg?

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnsmama98
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

That's normal when you've had a cast on for a while, because you can't wash it and the leg isn't getting air ciculation. I had the same problem when I broke my wrist.

meliscool72
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Thanks I was kind of freaking out LOL

Quoting johnsmama98:

That's normal when you've had a cast on for a while, because you can't wash it and the leg isn't getting air ciculation. I had the same problem when I broke my wrist.

ProudMommy51006
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Yes, normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Here is a look at the waterproof layer of my sons cast.

My son is in a cast too. He broke his foot. Anyway, he has a waterproof cast so he can get it wet - baths, showers, pools. In fact, he is supposed to get it wet everyday at least once.
It doesn't look any different than a regular cast except they wrap it with a waterproof padding instead of a cotton. I wonder why they don't just always do waterproof casts?? It seems like it would make life so much easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meliscool72
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

The guy who was casting me said the same thing. He said they don't allow them to order water proof casts. Yes, it would make it much easier instead of taping a trash bag over leg each time lol

Quoting mypbandj:

My son is in a cast too. He broke his foot. Anyway, he has a waterproof cast so he can get it wet - baths, showers, pools. In fact, he is supposed to get it wet everyday at least once.
It doesn't look any different than a regular cast except they wrap it with a waterproof padding instead of a cotton. I wonder why they don't just always do waterproof casts?? It seems like it would make life so much easier.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Yeah they don't do them at all in my town. We had to drive an hour to the Children's Hospital to get it. But IMO, it was worth the drive. Heck, I would've driven 5 hrs!! LOL

Quoting meliscool72:

The guy who was casting me said the same thing. He said they don't allow them to order water proof casts. Yes, it would make it much easier instead of taping a trash bag over leg each time lol

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

i had a cast as a kid. one time my arm itched so badly that i got a knife and jabbed it inside to reach it. i was SO grossed out with all the dead skin! 

when i got the cast off, my arm was noticeably smaller than my other arm. plus, the skin between my thumb and my index finger was rubbed down from the part of the cast that went between them. so weird. 

Missy13d69
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Completely normal. We constantly slough off dead skin cells. Your's a being trapped by the cast. Then you sweat in the cast and it turns into a gooey paste. It's quite disgusting.

meliscool72
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM

OH my LOL. Must have been worse to see it as a kid 

Quoting mickstinator:

i had a cast as a kid. one time my arm itched so badly that i got a knife and jabbed it inside to reach it. i was SO grossed out with all the dead skin! 

when i got the cast off, my arm was noticeably smaller than my other arm. plus, the skin between my thumb and my index finger was rubbed down from the part of the cast that went between them. so weird. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

As the others have said, it's normal.  Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)