Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

DePuy Hip Replacement issues!!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 15 Replies
My hubby had a total metal hip replacement in November of 2008. Hes been having pain in it for the past year. Went to the doctor today, and they took blood to check for metal toxicity, and will do an MRI this monday to check for fluid and metal shavings. I am shocked! And scared! He has had panic attacks since the surgery, which could be caused from nerve damage from metal in his blood. If this is what is wrong, they will have to replace the metal ball with a plastic one. All these issues, and hes only 34. He tries to play catch with the kids, swimming, ya know fun stuff the kids enjoy but it hurts him so bad. Just needed to vent about it. Anyone else dealing with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinadawn
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Please reply... Even if its just encouragement. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:29 PM
I'm so sorry. I hope they find out how to fix all the problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanaturalady
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I also had my hip replaced in November 08 after previously having the other hip replaced in '03.  The first one that I had has a plastic liner to mimic cartilage.  The second has metal on metal components.  I agreed to the metal/metal because of statistics that said the plastic liner is usually the first thing to wear out and is what causes so many patients to have to have revision surgeries sooner.  I knew that the metal rubbing together could theoretically cause metal build up in the blood, but I haven't explored what problems the metal build up can cause.  I have a couple of autoimmune issues and have often wondered if the metal build up has contributed to those issues. 

I hope your husband can find some relief.  I know I read somewhere that there is a way to lower heavy metals in the blood, but I couldn't tell you now what it said, I'd have to go look it up again. 

reneawesley
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM
I hope you get some answers and that he starts feeling better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristinadawn
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Have u had any issues with it like pain or weakness?

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I also had my hip replaced in November 08 after previously having the other hip replaced in '03.  The first one that I had has a plastic liner to mimic cartilage.  The second has metal on metal components.  I agreed to the metal/metal because of statistics that said the plastic liner is usually the first thing to wear out and is what causes so many patients to have to have revision surgeries sooner.  I knew that the metal rubbing together could theoretically cause metal build up in the blood, but I haven't explored what problems the metal build up can cause.  I have a couple of autoimmune issues and have often wondered if the metal build up has contributed to those issues. 

I hope your husband can find some relief.  I know I read somewhere that there is a way to lower heavy metals in the blood, but I couldn't tell you now what it said, I'd have to go look it up again. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Hope you get some answers and DH feels better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristinadawn
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Thanx guys. :) Ill keep everyone updated on Monday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Big hugs mama!  I'm sorry you're dealing with this right now...my heart goes out to you and all the pain your husband's dealing with.  Hope things go well and please keep us posted!

SabrinaLC
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I hope things get better for him soon!

Keep us posted!

cleanaturalady
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quoting kristinadawn:

Have u had any issues with it like pain or weakness?

Quoting cleanaturalady:

No, I haven't, but my hip called the Birmingham bone sparing hip prosthesis, not the DuPuy one.  There have been so many recalls for different hip prosthetics over the years that I was wary about both of mine, but so far they are holding up nicely.  I am really sorry that is not the case for your husband.  Hip replacement surgery is grueling and to think of having to have a revision is just demoralizing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)