Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

"Scientists Say Salad Isn't as Healthy without Salad Dressing"

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

This is an article I found via pinterest.com. I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. What are your thoughts?

http://www.thekitchn.com/scientists-say-salad-isnt-as-healthy-without-salad-dressing-173220

"Many health-conscious eaters opt for low-fat or non-fat dressings on their salads, but according to a study by Purdue University, eating a salad without fat is actuallyless healthy. That's because fat is needed by our bodies to absorb the nutrients in vegetables — but not all fats are alike. Researchers discovered one type of fat in particular is the best choice for salad-eaters who are watching their weight.

The study looked at salads dressed with saturated fat (butter), monounsaturated fat (canola oil) and polyunsaturated fat (corn oil). All promoted the absorption of carotenoids, the fat-soluble compounds in vegetables that are linked to a reduced risk of diseases like cancer. But the butter and corn oil were dependent on dose, meaning that you would have to eat more of the fat to get the maximum carotenoid absorption, while the canola oil provided the same amount of absorption regardless of how much was consumed.

This means a dressing made with monounsaturated fats like canola oil and olive oil is the healthiest choice, especially for calorie-conscious eaters. Using a smaller amount of full-fat dressings made with these oils will cut back on calories without losing out on any nutrients from the vegetables."

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Good info!  I typically use olive oil and vinegar on my salads anyways!

mp3mom
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Interesting. As I was reading, I was thinking olive oil...yay!

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Healthy fat is good and shouldn't be avoided! Fat doesn't make you fat and a diet too low in fat causes depression and doesn't encourage the absorption of fat soluble vitamins! Olive Oil, coconut oil, butter, animal fat from clean properly cared for and fed animals are all good for our bodies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yes we do need healthy fats.  Everything has gone from one extreme to another. 

reneawesley
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanaturalady
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I love lemon and olive oil or balsamic vinegar and olive oil. 

susie3g
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.. so I'm guessing this doesn't work for French or Catalina then, right?

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Not to mention fat free has so many other additives and sugar are added to make it taste palatable.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

good point

emtgirl885
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Very interesting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)