Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Heart rate while working out?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Jen
  • 10 Replies

What should it be?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Wow, i really don't know.  I didn't know it was suppose to be a certain rate while exercising.  I was just looking at some heart rate moniters today too. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Not sure, but I think it depends on your height, age, and weight to be honest!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Here's a site I found that is mega helpful!

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Thanks!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Frenchy88
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

you need to find your heart rate ceiling and stay around that number. Look up "finding your heart rate ceiling". :) Higher the heart rate, the more calories you burn!

Rota
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked in a cardiac rehab unit and we used heart monitors to measure rate and rhythm. If you are not taking any medications, then you could probably use the charts that were posted above. However, if you want to keep things simple, especially if you are new to exercise, then use your breathing pattern which is easier to monitor and you don't need any gadgets. If you are breathing hard but can still talk, you are exercising at an aerobic level and thus, burning calories. If you are breathing hard, cannot speak, it is too hard. If you want to work on endurance, exercise for time ( rather than distance) and  make sure that some effort is exerted.

If you are not physically fit, your heart rate will go way up at slight exertion and you will still be burning calories even though according to the chart, you are not "in target" range.

I hope this makes it all a little more simple.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Thank you!!!! Now i know i TOTALLY need to get a heart rate moniter. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Alyson121
by Alyson on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM

That was very helpfut to me.  I was thinking i needed to have a heart rate moniter.  You just saved me $80.  LOL

Quoting Rota:

I worked in a cardiac rehab unit and we used heart monitors to measure rate and rhythm. If you are not taking any medications, then you could probably use the charts that were posted above. However, if you want to keep things simple, especially if you are new to exercise, then use your breathing pattern which is easier to monitor and you don't need any gadgets. If you are breathing hard but can still talk, you are exercising at an aerobic level and thus, burning calories. If you are breathing hard, cannot speak, it is too hard. If you want to work on endurance, exercise for time ( rather than distance) and  make sure that some effort is exerted.

If you are not physically fit, your heart rate will go way up at slight exertion and you will still be burning calories even though according to the chart, you are not "in target" range.

I hope this makes it all a little more simple.

steffers96
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Depends on your height and weight. Every person is different. I just recently purchased a heart rate monitor so I could better track my progress. I'm 5'4", 149.8lbs, and my HRM says that 124 is in the low range for me and 162 is in the higher range for me. I don't know if you can use that to go off of, but that's what my HRM says when I entered my stats when I bought it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN