Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Dyshidrotic Eczema

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM
  • 43 Replies

How many mommies suffer from this form of eczema and what do you do for flare ups?

About four years ago I began developing these tiny little blisters on my fingers accompanied by dry, itchy, red skin.  It wasn't until after some serious digging last night that I FINALLY found information about Dyshidrotic Eczema.  Eczema runs in my family, so it's a strong possibility that this is the issue I have.  

After reading page after page, I tried the salt water soak and so far the results have been amazing.  The itching has decreased drastically in less than twenty-four hours as has the redness.  Now, the common issue many face with Dyshidrotic Eczema is daily cleaning agents, baby wipes, germ-x, dish soap, body wash, and shampoos which makes me rather upset.  Now, when I clean I will have to remember to wear gloves (not a big deal for some, I suppose.)  I also will have to invest in aveeno products and Garnier Fructis.  So what is the ingredient within all of those items causing our flare ups, most likely it is one of the following: 

• methyldibromoglutaronitrile
  • phenoxyethanol
  • methylchloroisothiazolinone
  • methylisothiazolinone

which are quite common in our products that we use daily.

So what do you do for this pesky eczema?  How have you learned to cope or treat it for that matter?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cleanaturalady
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I don't, but, I've heard that it can be really irritating.  Switch to making your own cleaners and stuff, it's really easy, actually. 

brittanyjenean
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I'm going to have to figure something out.  LOL.  Every single time I wash a dish, it flares up.  If I use germ-x, flares up.  I have a surgical scrub and that doesn't cause any flare ups.  It's very annoying though.  I'm looking into making my own soaps and such though.  The baby wipes are unavoidable, so I'll just have to handle that one.  LOL.  Do you have any DIY cleaners?

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I don't, but, I've heard that it can be really irritating.  Switch to making your own cleaners and stuff, it's really easy, actually. 

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I'd never heard of that specific type of eczema before.   Here's a BUMP for your post though...

brittanyjenean
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Thank you.  I hadn't either until last night when the itching and pain became so unbearable I finally began digging around online and finally found some pictures and symptoms similar to my own.  

Quoting Krysden:

I'd never heard of that specific type of eczema before.   Here's a BUMP for your post though...

brittanyjenean
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

BUMP!

reneawesley
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Never heard of that.
brittanyjenean
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM

It seems rare almost.  LOL.

Quoting reneawesley:

Never heard of that.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

No idea mama...hugs!  I'm sorry!

preacherskid
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom has similar. She can't use any hand sanitizing product without a nasty flare- it literally looks like she has leprosy. When her hands flare she coats them in an ointment free of vitamin E (makes her flares MUCH worse) and cornstarch, then puts gloves on until it heals up. She has noticed another chemical in sanitizers that cause her problems is hydrochlorine. She uses Ajax dish soap, and that is about the only cleaning product I see her use regularly, and she uses it for a lot. She still wears gloves to avoid drying out her skin, as that will make it flare too. Hope that helps some :)
brittanyjenean
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Thank you. I have been trying to keep my hands moisturized since I found out about this. The flare up are very painful and itchy when exposed to the products way too much. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who has this skin issue.

Quoting preacherskid:

My mom has similar. She can't use any hand sanitizing product without a nasty flare- it literally looks like she has leprosy. When her hands flare she coats them in an ointment free of vitamin E (makes her flares MUCH worse) and cornstarch, then puts gloves on until it heals up. She has noticed another chemical in sanitizers that cause her problems is hydrochlorine. She uses Ajax dish soap, and that is about the only cleaning product I see her use regularly, and she uses it for a lot. She still wears gloves to avoid drying out her skin, as that will make it flare too. Hope that helps some :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN