Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

The Worst Thing About a Migraine Isn’t the Headache

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Jen
  • 17 Replies

also from THE STIR

Do you have migraines?

The worst thing about migraines isn't the head pain: It's everything else. A new study by Migraine.com surveyed 2632 sufferers about their migraine experiences. Almost all of the respondents were women. Though we don't know how many of the participants were moms, almost half of them (40 percent) admitted that migraines affect their relationships with their children.

Half also said migraines have affected their jobs. And some (10 percent) even said their illness had led to divorce or separation. Meanwhile, employers lose about $13 billion due to their employees' migraine-related missed days. OK, I get it now: A migrane is way, way more than a headache.

So the headache part of a migraine is a given -- we all know about that. But for most sufferers migraine is actually vicious combination of symptoms like sensitivity to sound and smell, difficulty concentrating, nausea, fatigue, and neck pain. Treating those symptoms is complicated: Most respondents say they've held off on medications either because of the high costs or the side effects. And worst of all, the combination of symptoms and the problems with medication means many suffer from depression and anxiety, as well.

So yeah, take some pain reliever and a nap? Apparently that's not going to work for most. It's kind of amazing (in a horrible way) how hard it seems to get a handle on this condition. The friends I've had with migraine all seem to disappear from off the face of the Earth from time to time. And they're always trying something new in a desperate attempt to fight off their painful and debilitating demons. Now that I've seen these survey results I know it's not just my friends -- this is a widespread problem.

Anyway, Migraine.com did this study to serve "as a wake up call to the healthcare system and to society as a whole to recognize the broad impact that migraine has on the lives of those who suffer from it." Most of us can try to be more patient and compassionate, but I hope this leads to better, more comprehensive treatments.

Have you seen the way migraines can affect people's lives?

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I do get migraines! Luckily, not that often.

My last one was the first week of August and I was sitting in an all day training. Around lunch time, I felt it coming on. But I didn't have any motrin or anything! By 5:00 I was miserable. My eyes hurt and my stomach hurt. I had to drive about 45 mins home and that ride was awful.

Dh had watched my LO all day and so he was ready for me to take him when I got home...but I just couldn't. I took some motrin and sat on the couch w/ a cloth over my eyes (for darkness) but when I tried to get up after awhile I realized I just needed to go to bed. So that's what I did. It sucked b/c I didn't get to see my family that entire day! And I had to get up the next day and go back to training again! (but that day I took some motrin w/ me!!)

SabrinaLC
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

My step mom gets migraines.  She was at my house for a  birthday party with one.  She seemed to do okay, was quieter than usual but seemed to handle it well.

alexsmomma06
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM
They run in my family. I get them but not often. Growing up, my mother would get so bad she couldn't even lift her head off the couch. We would have to fend for ourselves for a day or two until it went away. She would vomit from certain smells, light, and even movement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I get them; they're not fun. I've been in bed for up to four days with one.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

My mom gets them, but honestly, I've never had one...I'm blessed!

reneawesley
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM
I hate them. I always have to take Tylenol and go to bed.
cleanaturalady
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I do get migraines. Not nearly as many as I used to before I removed all the toxic cleaning supplies and artificial fragrances from my home, but I still get them now and then and they SUCK. 

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM
I get them but not often. They are so awful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H.I.S.
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Quoting e-doolittle:

I get them but not often. They are so awful!

Same here :(

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM
So the mosquitoes are BAD this summer so my family has been using OFF spray. I hate that smell! It gives me a headache. Tonight my 12 yr old put some on before we went to the lake and I insisted on driving with the windows down. Dh thinks I'm over reacting but i really hate that smell!

Oh and I also hate artificial scents in cars, especially vanilla. It makes me sick almost immediately.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I do get migraines. Not nearly as many as I used to before I removed all the toxic cleaning supplies and artificial fragrances from my home, but I still get them now and then and they SUCK. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)