Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

My cookin is so good...but oh so bad....

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

I stepped on the scale today. I now know I need to lose at least 60 pounds yall. 

My problem is I have the biggest sweet tooth eva. I know this is where all of the pounds have came from. I bake cookies for the kids school functions. All of my food is southern cooking. if you cant put your foot in it, or your elbows in it... aint no good kinda stuff.

I have been cooking this way for years. How do cook in a different way?

I think this would help me. Now dont get me wrong, I dont do sweets all the time, but maybe the way my mama taught me isnt the right way?

LOL

Thanks yall

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reneawesley
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I like skinnytaste.com for recipes. Also just making your favorites healthier. You can pretty much google any recipe and find a healthier version.
LuvMySavage
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this
What does "if you can't put your foot in it, your elbow in it... it ain't good" mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I understood that Southern cooking invoved 5-10 vegetables per meal??

I think the simple (cheeky) answer is: learn how.

I grew up eating ... well, you don't want to know. Fried balogna appeared fairly often. Even my mom knows how to cook well, now --and she's vegetarian now.

Watch cooking shows. Take a cooking class. Follow food blogs. Ask a friend. Check out the youTube channels. CM even has one...

I also think it's a good idea to eat out --broaden your tastes and try other things. Find eateries in your area where they serve fresh, house-made foods (there are SO many of those here, now --it's really caught on, like Ceasar salad in 1983!) 

mp3mom
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:35 AM

You can probably cook similarly, but using healthier ingredients. Check out our Recipe Folder.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:02 AM

These ladies have some good ideas...good luck!

ellehcimyelhsa
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I have a BIG sweet tooth! I get a lot of good recipes from skinnytaste.com and chocolatecoveredkatie.com so I don't feel deprived. I've made ice cream from bananas! I eat a lot of fruit now. I've found that eating clean has actually really changed my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE chocolate and sweets, but I don't really think about them as much as before. I just automatically choose whole foods.

Maevelyn
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Portion control goes a long way, measure out how much you eat bc that makes a huge difference. Serve more veggies then you do the "good stuff" so you are filling up on the veg and not the chicken fried chicken. Downgrade your milk to skim and use a butter sub when ever you can. grilling and marinating works really well to add flavor... 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I cook southern food, not all the time though.  You can totally make it healthy.  When i make greens i don't use ham hocks to flavor them.  I just used onions, colored peppers and a bunch of seasonings and it's still great.  My children love my baked mac and cheese.  I use whole milk, real butter and REAL cheese (no Velveeta, kraft, etc).  You can still make the same foods, just use different ingredients, like no Crisco - try olive oil instead.  Also, i bake allot too but instead of using white processed sugar and white processed flour, i use things like honey, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, etc.  I use flours like spelt flour, whole wheat pastry flour, etc.  

I also avoid packaged food with High Fructose Corn Syrup and Corn Syrup.  

mopsmommy5
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM
You don't have to fry all meats! They can be baked broiled grilled or boiled to change the calories! I grew up with southern cooking too and changed how I cook my foods from how my mother and ancestors did. It makes a huge difference, 160lbs of difference so far! I still have a bit to go but I'm on my journey! Good luck!! Message me if you want more info!!
cookinmommyof1
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Martha stewar, rachel ray, lydia bastianich all have wonderful reciped that are healthy. Watch create (one of the pbs channels). there's tons of wonderful cooking shows on there (im not obsessed at all lol) that have great healthy foods. Use olive oil, no refined sugars (use honey, raw sugar, maple syrup), less salt, less frying, add flax seed or psyllium husk to cookies/cakes for added fiber and protein. And portion control. I lost 70+lbs in the last year by watching my portions only. I don't excercise much, but I eat less than I used to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN