Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

World's Oldest Woman Turns 116 & Reveals the Secret to Longevity! Do you sweat the small stuff?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
  • 16 Replies

World's Oldest Woman Turns 116 & Reveals the Secret to Longevity

birthday cakeBesse Cooper, the world's oldest woman, astoundingly celebrated her birthday on Sunday -- and she had a whopping 116 candles to blow out. Just kidding. She didn't blow out that many candles. That would be dangerous. She just had three of those big number candles. But she did turn 116! And interestingly, she doesn't even live in one of those blue zones where everybody lives to 300 years old; she lives at a nursing home facility in Monroe, Georgia.

And, more interestingly, she revealed the secret to her longevity.

According to Besse, she's been around since 1896 for two reasons. She said: "I mind my own business. And I don't eat junk food."

And there you have it, guys. This adorable old lady is living proof that we have two choices in life: We can either eat fluorescent green Snow Cones and die early; or we can subsist on quinoa and wild caught Alaskan salmon and live well into our hundreds.

Or maybe not.

I actually think the fact that Besse "minds her own business" has more to do with her still being alive than her diet (though I'm sure that doesn't hurt). I'm taking that as meaning she doesn't get caught up other people's drama; she doesn't sweat the small stuff; she doesn't stress too much.

Think about how crappy you feel when you're stressed out. It's worse than being actually, physically sick (or it leads to being actually, physically sick). If we could all take a page from Besse's book and mind our own business, I bet we'd all live a lot longer, too.

Maybe not to 116, but a year or two longer than we would have.

Do you sweat the small stuff? If not, what's your secret?

Image via Will Clayton/Flickr

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Wow!  Impressive!

cleanaturalady
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

No junk food?  

I am doomed. 

StephB060811
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Me too :( haha

Quoting cleanaturalady:

No junk food?  

I am doomed. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

That's great!  I'm sure her diet has allot to do with it.  No "Big Gulps" in the 1800's and not TELEVISION either.  So "minding your business" would be easier since that's how she grew up.  Unlike people today who have media thrown at them every which way.

jiffypop2207
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM
I work in a care center, we had a lady that was 114.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Quoting cleanaturalady:

No junk food?  

I am doomed. 

better put me on that list too

norahsmommy
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Amazing. Just think how different things are now from when she was a child! I don't know if I'd want to live that long. You would see everyone you grew up with,and most likely your children, die before you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM
LOL

Quoting cleanaturalady:

No junk food?  

I am doomed. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Amazing! My gma is turning 90 next month. She's been predicting her death for like 10 yrs but everytime we go see her, she just looks better and better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Happy Birthday, Besse! Interesting question... what's relevant? I can't stand clutter... is there a bill late? Really? My priorities have changed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN