Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eat for Less

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

What savings tips do you have for eating healthy?

(This article was from an allergen living site but think it's helpful for healthy eating too!)

Does your special diet give you sticker shock? No wonder. Many products that are gluten free and allergy friendly are downright expensive. The tight economy has many of us tightening our belts and that makes stretching the grocery budget to accommodate special-diet items more daunting than ever. If you’re feeling the pinch, try these suggestions to get more nutritional bang for your buck.

1 Consider nutrient count.

Before you purchase a product, think about its ability to actually nourish. How many nutrients does it provide per calorie? Choosing processed foods that contain high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, sodium, chemical preservatives and artificial additives fill you up quickly and feel satisfying in the short term—but where’s the value? They provide little real sustenance and do not bolster overall health. Often, just the opposite! You may pay a bit more for nutritionally dense food but you get more nutrient oomph per pound.

Here’s the way to look at it: Think future medical bills. The fact that you’re on a special diet points to absorption, digestion and related health issues. It’s critically important for you to obtain proper nourishment. Feeding your body nutrient-dense meals every single day will save you money in healthcare costs down the road. It’s that simple.

2 Choose single-ingredient foods.

Focus on a variety of fruits and vegetables, seeds, legumes, gluten-free whole grains, lean meats and poultry. These simple, wholesome foods, most of which are naturally gluten free and allergy friendly, are rich sources of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, healthy fatty acids and trace nutrients. They’re also low in calories and easy on the waistline.

3 Buy in season.

Fresh produce in season is less expensive and probably travels shorter distances to your table. This increases flavor. (There’s a better chance your child will eat his veggies if they’re tasty. )

When fresh isn’t available, frozen works. Freeze extra during growing season when choices are plentiful. If you buy frozen products, avoid those with added sweetening and sodium. Read labels carefully as some companies add wheat flour or wheat starch to certain foods, like frozen sweet potatoes.

Make smoothies with frozen fruit, like berries, peaches and melons. Create stir-fries with frozen vegetables, like broccoli, and use frozen spinach as a quick side.

Gluten Free and Allergy Friendly

4 Purchase meat and poultry on sale.

Grocery stores cycle sales on these items so you can pick up protein-rich foods at bargain prices to keep in the freezer until you’re ready to eat them. If you can tolerate seafood, keep an eye out for seasonal specials of locally caught fish and shellfish. These foods add important nutrients, like protein, vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids to your special diet.

5 Cook more dishes from scratch.

Use gluten-free whole grains and starches rather than commercial mixes and other prepared products. Whole brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, teff, sorghum and buckwheat are less expensive than processed counterparts and offer valuable nutrition, including B-complex vitamins so often lacking in special diets. They’re simple to prepare and easy to doctor into tasty sides for breakfast, lunch and dinner. These grains, legumes and seeds are also available as gluten-free flours that add flavor, fiber and protein to gluten-free recipes for baked goods.

6 Buy in bulk.

Many supermarkets and natural food stores offer a bulk section where you can purchase grains, seeds, legumes and nuts at reasonable prices, making it easy to stock up. Store these items in solid containers with tight-fitting lids. They'll last for months in your refrigerator and longer in the freezer. Note that scoops and bins can become cross-contaminated. When possible, choose from the highest bins and look for those with hand levers that release the product.

Don’t forget to network with local support groups. Many members partner up to purchase standard baking items, like xanthan gum, saving by buying larger quantities and sharing shipping costs.

Keep an eye out for sales. Since it’s best to be prepared with a snack, buy nutrition bars in bulk at a discount. A case priced $30 to $40 may not seem reasonable but the cost of bars purchased individually quickly adds up.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alyson121
by Alyson on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I do buy in season and that really helps tastes wise because the produce tastes better.  I LOVE the bulk section because i'm not paying for packaging.  Plus i buy the amount i want vs what's already in a bag.

Not sure about sale meats because some stores put items on sale that they're trying to rid themselves off before spoiling. 

cleanaturalady
by Kim on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Sales, coupons, stocking up.

reneawesley
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Buy in season.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Great tips! Cook in bulk, too~ if it's something that freezes well; it's a real time saver!

SabrinaLC
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM

A few good things in there.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Good list!  I definitely buy in bulk!  We love Sam's Club!

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Great List!!!  I especially use the meat buying tip.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

great list

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM

awesome tips

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I definitely check ads more nowadays.  Freeze sale items when I can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)