Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

3 Months of "No processed sugar" and what my tummy looks like now (pics)

Posted by   + Show Post

I've put myself on an "unofficial" challenge and started the "no processed sugar" in June 2012.  Basically i wanted to see if i could eliminate processed sugar in the foods i bought (even if they were organic) and not buy any cane sugar as well (even though i only bought organic raw cane sugar).  What this meant is that any breads, cereals, pasta (before i made my own) sauces, condiments, etc didn't have any processed sugar in them either.  I DID use raw honey, palm sugar, to sweeten my tea or if i baked something.  I just was trying to eliminate the cane and processed sugar. 

So, the first week was a challenge because i REALLY wanted some yummy baked goods with lots of cane sugar.  I also wanted to "treat" myself to some baked goods from our local natural grocery store.  

I'd say by the end of the first 30 days, i didn't have the SUPER strong cravings.  I noticed that eating things like dates and fresh fruit helped with the sugar urges.  Also, the one time i did cave and buy a vegan cookie, i really didn't enjoy it.  Like my body didn't respond the same way it used to in the past. 

Anyway, i'd taken a "before" pic in June of my tummy and just took another pic today.  I REALLY can see a difference in how my tummy looks from not having the processed sugar in my diet.  And this is with me not exercising for hours and hours everyday.  I exercised about 30 minutes a day and some times and less than that on others.  Even more, i sometimes didn't exercise at all.  

Here are the BEFORE pics

Here are the after pics

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Replies (51-60):
MrsAnjo
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Hi Alyson,

yes that is very inspirational, so could you share some of those tips on how you got started? For me as a diabetic that would be great!

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Holy cow Alyson!  I'm SO proud of you, and you have definitely inspired me:)

awwww . . .thanks Darby!!! Let me know when you're ready to take the plunge, i've tons of tips and tricks.  

uriahadel
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Quoting Hannahsjoy:

Whoa!! Amazing!!! Love it!

Thanks mama!

Alyson121
by Alyson on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Quoting MrsAnjo:

Whoo whoo! So that really made a difference!

Yes, it really did. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

The first thing i did was change my lifestyle, which was some years ago.  I was a total candy addict, used to keep a HUGE bag of peanut M&M in my night stand and would keep things like Snickers in my work desk.  I was always slim so i never noticed how the sugar affected me, except for my nagging psoriasis.  I also LOVED carbs (pasta, bread, etc). Once i got pregnant with my first that's when my diet and lifestyle really changed for the better.  I still had my candy addiction, i just swapped them for "healthier" versions.  I started buy the Sun Spire brand of peanut chocolate candies that they selll at Whole Foods and some other natural grocers.  I didn't buy those as much because they're WAY more expensive then M&M's.  I started eating more fresh fruit too and other fresh produce.  It really helped that hubby is vegetarian, so i started eating more vegetarian meals.  

By the time i got pregnant with my 2nd, i was kinda on a roll.  I also started to notice that i didn't get rash outbreaks and hubby told me that me consuming sugar really triggered it and made it worse.  I also started using alternatives to sugar (but still bought cane sugar and wasn't ready to give it up yet).

Basically, the LESS packaged and processed food i consumed, the easier it was for me to cut out processed sugar.  And since i was limiting the intake, i decided to just STOP the intake all together and did a challenge or myself.  Seeing the results is what's keeping me from going backwards.

So things like soda, can't be consumed because they contain processed sugar and high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup.  If i do buy soda for a party, it's the Taylors Tonic brand and that's rare i even buy those.  The juice i buy has no added anything.  My orange juice only has oranges, my apple juice only has apples, etc.  I eat allot of fresh fruit and produce.  I eat lots of raw nuts and other plain nuts.  Dates really helped me get through the first few weeks because they really helped my cravings.  I ate TONS of dates the first week or so.  I also only buy sprouted bread and try to avoid wheat, corn and soy which i think contributed to my big gut and tummy area. 

After about 30 days, my body doesn't HAVE to have the sugar and i don't crave it, even if i see it. 

Quoting MrsAnjo:

Hi Alyson,

yes that is very inspirational, so could you share some of those tips on how you got started? For me as a diabetic that would be great!

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Holy cow Alyson!  I'm SO proud of you, and you have definitely inspired me:)

awwww . . .thanks Darby!!! Let me know when you're ready to take the plunge, i've tons of tips and tricks.  

MrsAnjo
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Alyson, what about eating dried fruit? Do you include dried fruit into your diet?

elephantmamaof2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow mama! Well on your way! Fabulous job!!
Alyson121
by Alyson on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Quoting MrsAnjo:

Alyson, what about eating dried fruit? Do you include dried fruit into your diet?

I do buy dried fruit from time to time when the mood hits.  Mostly organic raisins to add to things i cook or if a recipe calls for certain dried fruits, i'll buy them.  Have to make sure the fruit has not sugar added.  I used to dry my own fruit before my cheapie dehydrator broke. 

mimi1207
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM

so you did eat all fruits and veggies though. it wasnt a no carb diet?

FabulousMum
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Keep it up baby! Good job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)