Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

How do you get your kids to eat more vegetables?

Posted by   + Show Post
Getting your little one to eat more veggies can be a tough job but it doesn't have to be. We asked 50 CafeMom members to take  the One Giant Pledge to get their family to eat more vegetables and gave them a free coupon from Green Giant to get them started.With Green Giant, vegetables are picked at the peak of perfection and frozen or canned fast to preserve the simple goodness nature intended!

Tell us about your family. How do you get your kids to eat more vegetables?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Replies (441-450):
Bmat
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I make thin sticks of fresh veggies- they are more appealing to the children than big sticks.

Bmat
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Something else I do is I have a wavy cutter- it cuts waves in veggies, especially cucumbers and carrots. something like this: Product Details

Bmat
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I need to be sure to do this, too.  Fresh fruit, also.

Quoting Cafe Amy:

Will make sure to offer veggies every night at dinner!

Bmat
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I also serve more veggies than meat portions.  So the veggies become the center of the meal.

Quoting printerr:

I'm trying to make sure to serve vegetables with dinner every night, which is not something I used to do.

marie566
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM
let them pick 1 new vegtable a week
kjb949
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM
By making them more available at meal and snack times.
lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Quoting Bmat:

Something else I do is I have a wavy cutter- it cuts waves in veggies, especially cucumbers and carrots. something like this: Product Details

I want one of these!
Sisteract
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Jessica Seinfeld's book is also excellent.

Deceptively Delicious is the title.

BabyTeki
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM
The garden is a great idea! I can't wait to have a little bit of land to be able to grow a few things. I love to go to my uncle's house and going out in the garden to pick things for dinner.

Quoting LindaClement:

My kids have always loved veggies, so it wasn't a struggle.

A variety of vegetables were served on their plates, on the table and generally around and available when they were hungry, in a variety of different preparations and styles. Neither dh nor I ever talked about what they ate, or when, so 'veggies' weren't an issue.

We rarely have dessert (although I grew up with it after lunch and dinner, every day --apparently a lifetime of habit has nothing to do with my brain) so if they didn't want their dinner (or part of it) there was no negotiations for anything else. When we had dessert, they could eat it whenever they wanted to --and if they were hungry later 'cause they hadn't eaten their dinner, their dinner was waiting for them.

We also grew veggies, with each kid having their own plot to plant their faves in, until they were in their teens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyTeki
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Wow that's crazy. I need to learn your tricks for my DH as much as my kids

Quoting cowgirls10181:

My kids have no issue eating veggies now, but in the begining it was difficult. SO we had (Green, purree green beans) Green mack and cheese! They love it still. In chillie I use V-8 which fills it full of veggies! All broth is v-8 or store equalivant. Meatloaf, has smashed veggis. Cabbage chopped up small, them simmered in soups it actually breaks apart and thickens the soup some, they never notice, the same with celery, onions, and many more vegies!

I"m a creative cook when it comes to hiding vegies for the kids to eat! One of our favorites is green squash in our brownies!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)