Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Remineralizing teeth

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
So a couple weeks ago I noticed a good size cavity on the gum line,it had already made a small whole and was black. I kinda freaked because I dont have dental insurance since my dh just got laid off in may. So my google research told me about xylitol. Its a sweetener but has been proven to help reduce and reverse tooth decay. I though why not try! So I went to a whole foods store here and got me some spry xylitol gum I chewed 6 pieces a day..lol 2 after breakfast 2 after lunch and 2 after dinner. Plus it said to not use any store bought toothpaste because they prevent the teeth from remineralizing. I used plax mouthwash once a day and brushed with a baking soda peroxide toothpaste(was store bought but I hadnt gone to whole foods yet). I know it was the xylitol gum though that helped because my teeth felt great after chewing it! My jaw started getting sore so im switching to spry xylitol toothpaste.lol. My cavity is now a very small light brown hole!! Its amazing! Oh and I did try brushing with an organic bar soap for a couple days but couldnt stand the taste..lol.. They say that helps teeth remineralize too. So far im getting good results from xylitol! Of course dentists say its impossible...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnmo3bb
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Fermented Cod Liver oil is another good thing to look into. It helps make our teeth stronger from the inside. 

Thieves essential oil, coconut oil, baking soda and glycerin is a good toothpaste recipe. I agree about not using over the counter tooth paste. I get a pretty good one from Trader Joe's and might make my own some day. I use Xylitol gum or rinse with baking soda water with Thieves and either make any tooth pain I have go away :) 

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 20, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Glad it's working out well for you mama!

SabrinaLC
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing :-)

tngirl06
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Have you checked if you state provides free dental while pregnant?

A lot of states do.Some even provide it  for up to a year after baby is born.

Worth a look.

calimom1123
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Im not pregnant ;) .. But yes they do.

Quoting tngirl06:

Have you checked if you state provides free dental while pregnant?

A lot of states do.Some even provide it  for up to a year after baby is born.

Worth a look.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

We buy the Spry gum as well.  I brush my teeth with Maca Root powder from time to time as that's suppose to help keep the teeth healthy as well and reverse any cavities.  I don't do it every day though.  I'm going to have to try brush with baking soda because we do buy over the counter toothpastes, even though they're suppose to be "natural" (things lke Neem toothpaste, etc) 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Fermented Cod Liver oil is another good thing to look into. It helps make our teeth stronger from the inside. 

Thieves essential oil, coconut oil, baking soda and glycerin is a good toothpaste recipe. I agree about not using over the counter tooth paste. I get a pretty good one from Trader Joe's and might make my own some day. I use Xylitol gum or rinse with baking soda water with Thieves and either make any tooth pain I have go away :) 

I love your siggy!!! Our children are about the same ages.  Mine are 10, 8, 6, 5 and 2.  ;-)

The fermented cod liver oil, do you ferment it yourself or is it bought that way? 

mnmo3bb
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Thanks :) I an loving the ages that my kids are :) esp since they are excited for the new baby lol

Weston A Price has a lot if info and they have a list of brands. We get Green Pastures. We get cinnamon gel that has butter oil in it as well (suppose to be the combo that does the teeth health) it also has vit d & a & k... Pretty good stuff, not hard to take (I don't mind the taste, my 2 year old takes bit with a little honey just fine)

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I love your siggy!!! Our children are about the same ages.  Mine are 10, 8, 6, 5 and 2.  ;-)

The fermented cod liver oil, do you ferment it yourself or is it bought that way? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMySavage
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Love the toothpaste recipe, excluding the glycerine. Glycerine actually impairs the ability for your teeth to remineralize because it leaves a filmy coat on them.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tngirl06
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Lol, I am sorry guess you can see where my mind is right now. DH and I are ttc and that is all i can think about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)