Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms
So a couple weeks ago I noticed a good size cavity on the gum line,it had already made a small whole and was black. I kinda freaked because I dont have dental insurance since my dh just got laid off in may. So my google research told me about xylitol. Its a sweetener but has been proven to help reduce and reverse tooth decay. I though why not try! So I went to a whole foods store here and got me some spry xylitol gum I chewed 6 pieces a day..lol 2 after breakfast 2 after lunch and 2 after dinner. Plus it said to not use any store bought toothpaste because they prevent the teeth from remineralizing. I used plax mouthwash once a day and brushed with a baking soda peroxide toothpaste(was store bought but I hadnt gone to whole foods yet). I know it was the xylitol gum though that helped because my teeth felt great after chewing it! My jaw started getting sore so im switching to spry xylitol toothpaste.lol. My cavity is now a very small light brown hole!! Its amazing! Oh and I did try brushing with an organic bar soap for a couple days but couldnt stand the taste..lol.. They say that helps teeth remineralize too. So far im getting good results from xylitol! Of course dentists say its impossible...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Replies (21-26):
calimom1123
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I used the dr bronner soap too..lol the one I used was unscented but still tasted blah. I will probably use it though here and there. The spry toothpaste flavor has me spoiled. I really like the taste. But again if you can overcome the taste I bet the soap is better. A tip for brushing with soap was to keep your tongue away from the teeth so you dont taste it as much. My teeth are definately whiter.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I did it. I brushed my teeth with soap. The taste is...well....soapy, but my teeth do feel pretty clean.

Oh, I used http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm  I used the almond because someone said it was better than the peppermint. I forget why though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaDonna_d
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Simple Xylitol toothpaste recipe

2 Tbl baking soda
2 Tbl xylitol (mine is granule, so I powder it in s coffee grinder)
1 Tbl coconut oil (+maybe 1 tsp or more if too thick)
1 tsp sea salt (again with the grinder, lol)
~Optional~
Peppermint essential oil (I use 30 drops)
Trace mineral drops (10 drops)
Oregano essential oil (5 drops for gum health)
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

wow... that's great, glad it's working.   I had to look up that gum to see where to get it... not hard to find but can be a little pricy... then again you get a lot of pieces at once so it may not be as much as it seems.   Thanks for sharing!

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Quoting LaDonna_d:

2 Tbl baking soda
~Optional~

thanks for sharing!

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Quoting LaDonna_d:

2 Tbl baking soda
~Optional~

Do you have a recipe that kids would enjoy??

LaDonna_d
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Quoting cmorris1200:

For my little one, I just add more xylitol to sweeten it up,,,, plus cinnamon oil since she LOVES it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN