Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ground Beef Recall Spreads to 30 States & Will Make You Sick About Burgers

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

hamburgerRemember that worrisome ground beef recall that began last month when contaminated ground beef trimmings made their way across the Canada-U.S. border? Well, it appears to have become an even more gigantic issue. The bad meat has made its way to groceries in 30 states! Among the stores participating in the recall are Safeway and Walmart, who have jumped on board after Albertson's stores in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and Cargill announced that they had been affected. Here's the complete retail list related to the recall. In total, the recall now affects 890,000 pounds of beef shipped to the U.S. Gross.

Last week, the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said it had decided to expand its recall of the beef products that had originated from XL Foods company in Alberta, Canada. Kinda creepy that this is still going on, being that the meat was "produced" on August 24, 27, 28, and 29 and September 5!

Apparently, the official word on how the meat went bad is that "conditions in the slaughterhouse on those days were especially conducive to the proliferation of dangerous E. coli bacteria ... so all beef packed that day should be considered potentially disease-bearing." Guuuhh!

The good news is that no illnesses have yet been linked to consumption of the tainted beef. But how this has all played out is still seriously disturbing. XL Foods' meat-packaging license has been suspended, it was announced yesterday, but you have to wonder if their plants -- which the Canadian Food Inspection Agency found "a number of issues" with -- produced more foul beef over the past month! Plus, the USDA totally deserves a slap on the wrist, because their response and action has been frighteningly slow. And while it's heartening that no one has gotten sick, there's still no excuse for all the ineptitude related to this recall.

Have you been affected by this recall? Does it make you re-think buying ground beef?

Image via pointnshoot/Flickr

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Gross yes, but we will still eat it. I usually get our hamburger from Costco.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Wow!  Gross!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

We usually get ours from Sam's Club.

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

Gross yes, but we will still eat it. I usually get our hamburger from Costco.

reneawesley
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I eat ground turkey.
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Yuck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I don't eat meat.

ladyraven16
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM
It's not in my city. That's gross though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM
This is my first time hearing of it. We eat it all the time. Ours is pink slime free, not recalled, yummy. What can I say...we're disgusting extra lean beef eaters. We used to eat ground turkey but DD was allergic to poultry, so... She grew out of that, but we grew a taste for extra lean beef over turkey. And once allergic, many kids never enjoy an allergen very much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimberly161
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM

gross. It's affected our region. I shop at winco which isn't on the list of retaliers but do I seriously want to take that chance with my family? Out it goes. So glad for this post

CafeMom Tickers
CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

About once a year we get a good amount of beef from my dad too, who raises a few cows a year...... LOVE when that happens!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)