Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Flouride treatments??

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM
  • 23 Replies

My dentist wants my 3 yo and 5 yo to have fluoride tablets.  I am hesitant because their are thyroid issues in my immediate family.  I have read fluoride toxicity can increase the chances of hypothyroidism.  Our water isn't treated with Fluoride and I keep hearing about more town taking it out of the water.  What do you ladies think??

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I've honestly never heard that before...so I'm not sure...sorry  mama!

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I would do some research on that.  Do you drink well water or something?  They should be getting enough flouride just from tap water and flouride toothpaste alone. 

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

How are their teeth?   I wouldn't use it for a 3 yr old but if your 5yr old is good with rinse & spit then you might consider a flouride rinse.   You can find it at walmart (or similar place) on the aisle with kids toothbrushes & kids toothpastes.  Interestingly enough, the flouride rinses for kids have more flouride in them than the ones for adults. 

mp3mom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Our town doesn't treat for fluoride.  I would rather do a rinse but the dentist wants the supplement for the kids permanent teeth.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I would do some research on that.  Do you drink well water or something?  They should be getting enough flouride just from tap water and flouride toothpaste alone. 

reneawesley
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Quoting darbyakeep45:

Me either. Our dentist brushes on something so that's once every 6 months.
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The thing is there was a fluoride treatment at the appointment.

Quoting reneawesley:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Me either. Our dentist brushes on something so that's once every 6 months.

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Quoting mp3mom:

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

The thing I've heard about flouride is it's hard to know when you're getting too much and if you do, then it can cause problems.  I would get some clarification from the dentist before I did it if I were you.  That's just me though. 

Quoting cmorris1200:

Our town doesn't treat for fluoride.  I would rather do a rinse but the dentist wants the supplement for the kids permanent teeth.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

mp3mom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Very true... and they removed it from water. IDK... it's a hard decision. Why won't they just give it to them on their teeth? Our dentist DOES that! It reeks $ to me... but I'm the skeptical one, lol.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN