Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

My dentist wants my 3 yo and 5 yo to have fluoride tablets.  I am hesitant because their are thyroid issues in my immediate family.  I have read fluoride toxicity can increase the chances of hypothyroidism.  Our water isn't treated with Fluoride and I keep hearing about more town taking it out of the water.  What do you ladies think??

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Stacie03
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I have never given the kids fluoride even though the Pedi recommended it because of not having any in our water. I just don't think it's necessary and while I've not taken the kids to a dentist their teeth appear healthy. They are 4&2 yrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Here's some info I trust:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=Flouride

Quoting mp3mom:

Very true... and they removed it from water. IDK... it's a hard decision. Why won't they just give it to them on their teeth? Our dentist DOES that! It reeks $ to me... but I'm the skeptical one, lol.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM
I wouldn't allow it personally
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

They want  additional fluoride for the teeth that are still to come in.  (3.5 and 5.5 yos)   They did a fluoride treatment at my son's cleaning.

Quoting mp3mom:

Very true... and they removed it from water. IDK... it's a hard decision. Why won't they just give it to them on their teeth? Our dentist DOES that! It reeks $ to me... but I'm the skeptical one, lol.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

IMHO...my mother just told that she heard that fluoride can cause mental illnesses... granted, she does not want to admit I got mine through heredity, which I did, but I do think tablets sound weird; when we were kids we had treatments ON our teeth, at the office. I've never heard of tablets. They took it out of the water for a reason. If you want to treat an area, treat the area. That's JMO.

I am concerned about the tablet because for how many year have you heard not to swallow toothpaste because of the fluoride.

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks!!

Quoting mp3mom:

Here's some info I trust:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=Flouride

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I would not do it.  Why does your dentist want to do it?  Does it cost extra money or is it free?

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

That's what i was thinking too, that they're doing it for money.  Fluoride is a hzmat material, so i surely wouldn't want to take it in a supplement

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting cmorris1200:

Quoting mp3mom:

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I wouldnt let them get the tablets. Toothpaste and water have fluoride. Thats enough. JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I let them brush on the fluoride but I don't think I'd do the tablet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM

flouride is a risky thing. too much is bad and too little is kind of bad. to me flouride is not really necessary outside of toothepaste. in fact i will be glad when it isn't in our water anymore. i don't do flouride treatments at the dentist either because they give me massive migraines and to me thats an indication that something is wrong with it. i haven't researched it further because like i said i just refuse the treatments and use toothpaste. if your kids don't have cavities i really woudln't worry about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN