Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms
Do you associate the term "gluten free" as a healthy (or healthier) food option?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Replies (11-16):
shilohkitten
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No dude.  You would only need to eat gluten free if you had a gluten allergy.

mp3mom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM

It depends; not all gluten is created equal. If it's processed, as in bread, I don't IMO think it's healthy for ME; whereas, gluten in quinoa is natural, therefore, more healthy for ME.

Here's a ton of info:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=gluten

SAMandy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Staying off wheatand gluten has also been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. I have 9 auto-immune diseases and leaving it out my diet definitely reduces fatigue and pain, even though I'm not allergic to it.
Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Totally agree about people not understanding what is truly healthy and what is not.  I think that causes allot of confusion and like you said makes people quick well before they've really given it a chance. 

Quoting alc4evermom:

If you are allergic to gluten, then you shouldn't eat it.  Someone mentioned box foods---they are convenient but if you gain a good sense of a gluten free lifestyle you will find that on occasion it's fun to eat box foods, but like everything else, it should be very limited.  I went gluten free three months ago because I had horrible horrible HORRIBLE hemorrhoids, my stomach was BLOATED out like a pregnant person from gas, and I was sick as a dog.  It explains why my stomach stuck out for so long, but I'm not really sure why the allergy snuck up on me so severely like that.  the same thing happened to me with peanuts about seven years ago.  I don't think that I suffer from emotional attachments to certain foods, and I was so sick it was easy for me to give up.  I'm also very nutritionally educated so I didn't have a struggle in finding what to eat.  It's actually given me more freedom.  I think one of the gimmicky ends of the gluten free diet (i hate those fad diets) is that I think people struggle a lot in general with what is actually healthy and what isn't; and in the beginning they fall into self pity and give up before they see the beauty of living without their digestive systems being attacked.   

reneawesley
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Only if you have issues with it.
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Yes! Particularly if you are buying GF vs. making it. Most store bought GF is highly processed white rice flour.

Quoting kerryket:

Only if you have issues with Gluten.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN