Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I had a culture that went bad and am having a harder time than normal finding a culture.  It seems people want to sell a whole "kit" which I don't need.

I have also read that keeping a bottle raw kombucha (Forget the brand but its national) will produce a baby after a few weeks.  Has anyone tried this?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
matreshka
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Thank you so much!   think the co-op by us makes its own kombucha so I will call there, otherwise I will use the brand you mentioned.

Quoting Alyson121:

Here you go

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-grow-a-kombucha-scoby/

How To Grow A Kombucha SCOBY

Written by

If you're new here, you may want to sign up for FREE weekly updates delivered to your inbox featuring Real Food recipes, nutrition & health articles, and the latest in sustainable agriculture, food politics & philosophy.

Kombucha, the effervescent and tangy health drink made from fermenting sweetened tea, is my family's favorite beverage. We drink about 2 gallons of the stuff per week.

To make kombucha (see my instructions for how to do that here), you only need two things:

1) Sweetened tea, and 2) a SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast), AKA "mother," or "mushroom."

Coming by kombucha mothers is easy if you've got friends making this "immortal health elixir." Kombucha mother colonies periodically reproduce, so people brewing it have a constant supply of scobies to give away.

But what if you're a lone wolf, daring to make kombucha on your own?  Where are you supposed to get a good SCOBY?

The most reputable online stores can charge anywhere from $15-$35 per kombucha mother.

YIKES!

So, I thought I'd show you how to grow your own for about $3.50.

The Players

• 1 bottle of Organic, Raw Kombucha
  • 1 glass jar
  • 1 kitchen towel
  • 1 cup of room temperature sweetened tea made with filtered water (where to buy water filters)

NOTES:

1. You can buy the kombucha at just about any health food store. I get mine from the health food aisle of my local HEB - a large chain grocery store local to my area.  If you can't find it near you, you can buy a bottle of the stuff online. Make sure it's organic, raw, and unflavored with juice. You just want the plain, original beverage.
  2. The sweetened tea can be as simple as a cup of black tea, sweetened with a tablespoon of sugar.

The How-To

Pour the bottle of kombucha and sweetened tea into a glass jar.  Cover it with a towel so it can breathe but be protected from insects and other contaminants. Let it sit.

THE END.

It's really very easy, isn't it?

With time, a new SCOBY will start to form on top of the liquid. It will appear first as a thin film, then slowly fill in and thicken up.

Once it's about 1/4 inch thick, it's ready to go. You can let it sit longer and get even thicker, but that's really not necessary. This SCOBY is about 1/3 inch thick and took me about 3 weeks to grow. In the summer, I can grow it in half that time.

Got a question?

Check out this post on Kombucha Questions & Answers and see if it can help. Also, be sure to read through the instructions and comments in this post on How To Brew Flavored Kombucha.

HELP! I followed all your advice, but it still didn't grow.

Unfortunately, some store bought kombucha is just weak or old. Rather than playing roulette with bottles of raw kombucha, hoping for a batch that's thriving with good culture, you may want the assurance of starting with a proven culture. If so, check out where I recommend to buy a kombucha SCOBY.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

My pleasure! ;-)  You've inspired me to stop being afraid to make my own.  I think i may give it a try.  My local grocery sells kombucha on tap as well.  Let us know how it turns out too. 

Quoting matreshka:

Thank you so much!   think the co-op by us makes its own kombucha so I will call there, otherwise I will use the brand you mentioned.

Quoting Alyson121:

Here you go

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-grow-a-kombucha-scoby/

How To Grow A Kombucha SCOBY

Written by

If you're new here, you may want to sign up for FREE weekly updates delivered to your inbox featuring Real Food recipes, nutrition & health articles, and the latest in sustainable agriculture, food politics & philosophy.

Kombucha, the effervescent and tangy health drink made from fermenting sweetened tea, is my family's favorite beverage. We drink about 2 gallons of the stuff per week.

To make kombucha (see my instructions for how to do that here), you only need two things:

1) Sweetened tea, and 2) a SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria and Yeast), AKA "mother," or "mushroom."

Coming by kombucha mothers is easy if you've got friends making this "immortal health elixir." Kombucha mother colonies periodically reproduce, so people brewing it have a constant supply of scobies to give away.

But what if you're a lone wolf, daring to make kombucha on your own?  Where are you supposed to get a good SCOBY?

The most reputable online stores can charge anywhere from $15-$35 per kombucha mother.

YIKES!

So, I thought I'd show you how to grow your own for about $3.50.

The Players

• 1 bottle of Organic, Raw Kombucha
  • 1 glass jar
  • 1 kitchen towel
  • 1 cup of room temperature sweetened tea made with filtered water (where to buy water filters)

NOTES:

1. You can buy the kombucha at just about any health food store. I get mine from the health food aisle of my local HEB - a large chain grocery store local to my area.  If you can't find it near you, you can buy a bottle of the stuff online. Make sure it's organic, raw, and unflavored with juice. You just want the plain, original beverage.
  2. The sweetened tea can be as simple as a cup of black tea, sweetened with a tablespoon of sugar.

The How-To

Pour the bottle of kombucha and sweetened tea into a glass jar.  Cover it with a towel so it can breathe but be protected from insects and other contaminants. Let it sit.

THE END.

It's really very easy, isn't it?

With time, a new SCOBY will start to form on top of the liquid. It will appear first as a thin film, then slowly fill in and thicken up.

Once it's about 1/4 inch thick, it's ready to go. You can let it sit longer and get even thicker, but that's really not necessary. This SCOBY is about 1/3 inch thick and took me about 3 weeks to grow. In the summer, I can grow it in half that time.

Got a question?

Check out this post on Kombucha Questions & Answers and see if it can help. Also, be sure to read through the instructions and comments in this post on How To Brew Flavored Kombucha.

HELP! I followed all your advice, but it still didn't grow.

Unfortunately, some store bought kombucha is just weak or old. Rather than playing roulette with bottles of raw kombucha, hoping for a batch that's thriving with good culture, you may want the assurance of starting with a proven culture. If so, check out where I recommend to buy a kombucha SCOBY.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Same here...good luck mama!

Quoting reneawesley:

I have no idea but good luck.

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Oh man that's one thing I know I'll never drink. LOL

I first learned about it ten years ago. I just can't get past the thing that floats on top.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Never heard of it.

matreshka
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Cool!  I know the scoby grows faster in warmer weather than cooler weather.  Some people even make "sweaters" for the mason jars growing kombucha when its cold.  I just wrap a towel around it, keep the lid covered with cheesecloth and a rubber band to keep everything thing out.

Kombucha is always going to have a smell, like vinegar, but stronger.  If it in any ways smells like mold hor some other awful smell  or something like that ditch everything.  That ususally results from washing the containers and not rinsing every nanospec of soap out (even dr. bronners, which I use), which is what I think happened to me.

Quoting Alyson121:

My pleasure! ;-)  You've inspired me to stop being afraid to make my own.  I think i may give it a try.  My local grocery sells kombucha on tap as well.  Let us know how it turns out too. 

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Ms. Alyson is so helpful!

I've only had Kombucha one time.  I didn't care for it but it may have been because I wasn't prepared (?) for it.  I plan to try it again oneday, though I doubt I'll make it myself.

Kat940
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I have to ask. What is it used for??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

There are a variety of health claims.  I tell you what I notice it helping me with and the give a list of the other claims.

For me it elminated my eczema, controls my pms zit outbreaks, helps reduce water weight, has helped me in the past with weigh loss, helps a bit with my joint stiffness, helps with my digestion and is a good natural energy boosting drink.

Other claims are

Statistics from a Kombucha survey

This "Benefits of Kombucha" list was compiled by Bev Ferguson, owner of Kombucha Manna International. These results are from a survey she posted over the Kombucha Mailing List. The Kombucha mailing list is a group of over 600 people from all over the world who share their experiences with Kombucha on a daily basis. These benefits are based on their own experiences.

• 1. Great beverage
  • 2. Sense of well-being
  • 3. Helps to relieve congestion in airways
  • 4. Thicker hair (whoopee!)
  • 5. Energy boost
  • 6. Straightened my hair out!
  • 7. Helps osteo arthritis
  • 8. Great conversation piece! :)
  • 9. Licked Calcifying tendonitis
  • 10. Helps with asthma
  • 11. Has brought me into contact with some very caring people.
  • 12. Stress buster
  • 13.Very calming
  • 14. Increase sex drive
  • 15. Regulates Intestines.
  • 16. Cured Candida Overgrowth.
  • 17. Aides digestion - especially on top of diary.
  • 18. Addictive taste.
  • 19. Eliminates or reduces heat rash.
  • 20. Improved circulation/controlled venous stasis in shins
  • 21. Clears and Improves skin
  • 22. Makes a good hair rinse
  • 23. Redundant 'Momma's make good brass cleaners!
  • 24. Helped take the "scales" from a friends Skin disorder
  • 25. Makes a wonderful, soothing foot soak.
  • 26. Shrinking large fatty tumor.
  • 27. Flattening and fading old age carotene patches on the face.
  • 28. Stops severe menstrual cramps
  • 29. Makes a wonderful facial.
  • 30. Made me much more mobile with my gout.
  • 31. Oncoming headlights do not bother me as much.
  • 32. Reduces / stabilizes blood pressure.
  • 33. Prevents and helps heal bladder infections
  • 34. Eases carpal tunnel syndrome
  • 35. Heals boils and staph infections on skin.
  • 36. Prevents oral canker sores
  • 37. Prevents eczema and psoriasis
  • 38. Household Cleaner: cuts grease, cleans stoves, bathroom tiles, windows, copper
  • 39. Hair and nails grow faster
  • 40. I can see the pupils of my eyes again without glasses.
  • 41. More energy
  • 42. Clears nail fungus
  • 43. Improves the sense of well being for people with liver Cancer
  • 44. Helps an older woman feel and look younger
  • 45. Helps Arthritis sufferers
  • 46. Cleanses toxins from the system
  • 47. Soothes burns and sunburn
  • 48. Takes the sting and swelling away from Bee Stings
  • 49. Good underarm deoderant
  • 50. For some people; eliminates desire for alchohol, & helping to relax
  • 51. Smashes flus and colds
  • 52. Significant progress healing chapped lips from topical application of KT
  • 53. Kombucha Colony makes a great poultice
  • 54. Removes rust
  • 55. Returns grey hair to it's natural color for some people
  • 56. Improved eyesight
Quoting Kat940:

I have to ask. What is it used for??

matreshka
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Also:

All of the statistics --I've included below-- are taken from the original data compiled by Ariana Estelle-Symons Ph.D, in her August 1996 “Kombucha Konnection” Newsletter article entitled: “Kombucha- Who in the World is Drinking That Stuff?”. Her URL is as follows: http://www.harmonicharvest.com/

1. Why Are These People Drinking Kombucha Tea?
  2. What Benefits Do They Report?

Why are these people drinking Kombucha?

• 27% "General Maintenance". They are not ill and do not want to be.
  • 10% Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia
  • 15% M.S., Hepatitis C, HIV, Cancer
  • 13% Arthritis, and related conditions
  • 10% Digestive problems
  • 6% Asthma, Allergies
  • 8% Hypertension & High Cholesterol
  • 10% Skin problems, psoriasis, acne, weight loss, various non life-threatening conditions.

What benefits do they report?

• 81% Report a 'feeling of well-being'.
  • 27% Better sleep patterns
  • 30% Weight loss
  • 81% Relief from constipation
  • 42% Relief from painful arthritis-type symptoms.
  • 21% Improvement in skin tone & condition
  • 9% Migraine relief
  • 17% Disappearance of 'liver spots'
  • 12% Better concentration
  • 27% Relief of ulcer pain and digestive problems.
  • 5% Relief from nausea caused by chemotherapy
  • 8% Better condition of hair and nails
  • 4% Regrowth of hair
  • 7% Restoration of gray/white hair to original color
  • 12% Disappearance of pre-cancerous skin growths
  • 10% Removal of moles or skin tags
  • 6% Weight Loss of 20+ pounds
  • 24% Weight loss of 5-10 pounds
  • 13% Reduced caffeine cravings.
  • 17% Reduced sugar cravings
  • 2% People with cancer maintaining a 'cancer free' status for 5+ years
  • 6% People with cancer maintaining a 'cancer free' status for 1-4 years.
  • 3% People with cancer maintaining a 'cancer free' status for less than one year.
  • 44% Report experiencing increased energy
  • 8% Increased Libido
  • 13% Less cramping and discomfort during menstruation.
  • 19% Relief from symptoms of PMS
  • 7% Relief from symptoms of menopause.
  • 82% Report the resistance to colds & flu
  • 3% Increase in T-cells
  • 19% Allergy relief
  • 17% Lower Blood Pressure & Cholesterol

Copyright©, 1996 Ariana Estelle-Symons, Ph.D (on statistics used).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)