Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Focus on the cause/then find the cure

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 24 Replies

Prevention seems to fall last on the list when it comes to any disease. 

Drugs: treat symptoms, not the disease.  Drugs cause disease and more symptoms. 

Foods, Air, Depression, side effects of big pharma growing our food and pumping people with mind altering drugs is giving people cancer, suicide, and diseases at the expense of your life and life savings. 

Obesity is a good example of a preventable disease, and it's also highly visual, and it's generally accepted as a precursor for may preventable diseases.  Obesity is unfairly attacked because of it being so visual.  An obese person is ridiculed for eating a big mac, while a skinny person could be damaging their cholesterol level at the same rate but is most likely less noticed by gawkers.

Obesity is also a side effect of something larger inside of someone that is wrong whether it is physical or mental.  People are not taught to deal with their molestations from childhood.  Even in therapy you are told to take drugs after you tell the therapist about your past and get a little antsy while you do so.  People are not taught to cope with abuse.  They are told to mask the symptom, pop a pill, or in some cases of obesity;  scarf down that food in an attempt to cope with an emotion.  Brain chemistry is also effected by foods we eat.  Like a person addicted to coffee, your body can become addicted to fried foods. 

I don't have an answer;  just making an observation.  Have a good day everyone and be mindful of your temple, the body.  If anyone else has an observation about flaws in society and the way we view health, feel free to share

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happy2bmom25
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM
You are right. There are numbers out there, something like 80% of our sickness and disease can be cured through lifestyle changes.
We as a society have come to blame our genetics and take drugs and surgeries for our ailments rather than take responsibility for our own health.
I hate how moms say they ran out of milk and couldnt breastfeed, and then give formula, and then the baby gets reflux, and then the baby gets a drug for that, and then the baby grows older and develops allergies and needs lifesaving medication for that, it just goes on and on and on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting happy2bmom25:

You are right. There are numbers out there, something like 80% of our sickness and disease can be cured through lifestyle changes.
We as a society have come to blame our genetics and take drugs and surgeries for our ailments rather than take responsibility for our own health.
I hate how moms say they ran out of milk and couldnt breastfeed, and then give formula, and then the baby gets reflux, and then the baby gets a drug for that, and then the baby grows older and develops allergies and needs lifesaving medication for that, it just goes on and on and on!

My friend and I were just talking on Friday about moms who say their milk ran out.  My son didn't take to my breast feeding right away---it's a skill that develops over the first critical days of their birth. 

happy2bmom25
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I really wish moms knew whete to go for support! La leche league is awesome! Had I not contacted lll, my second son never would have been breastfed. The lactation consultamts in the hospital were useless for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quoting happy2bmom25:

I really wish moms knew whete to go for support! La leche league is awesome! Had I not contacted lll, my second son never would have been breastfed. The lactation consultamts in the hospital were useless for us.

the lactation consultant didn't come in the room until I was leaving lol and by then I was like, nevermind I figured it out

mp3mom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a tendency to agree; however, a chemical imbalance in the brain has yet to be improved by food, enhanced by vitamins, but not food.

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM
I actually really don't have enough milk. I have no breast changes during pregnancy or after birth. I do make milk, just not enough.

That said, I breastfed ds 1 for 28 months, dd for 33 months and I'm current still nursing ds 2 who is 28 months. I did have to supplement though.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Quoting happy2bmom25:

My friend and I were just talking on Friday about moms who say their milk ran out.  My son didn't take to my breast feeding right away---it's a skill that develops over the first critical days of their birth. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
The LC that came to my room was a complete idiot. I had the nurse put on my file that she was never allowed to see me again. LOL not sure if the nurse did that but I never did see her again.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Quoting happy2bmom25:

the lactation consultant didn't come in the room until I was leaving lol and by then I was like, nevermind I figured it out

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM
I agree! Moms need support!!!

Quoting happy2bmom25:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM
And speaking on focusing on prevention instead of racing to the "cure," I feel like health insurances don't like to do that.

I was picking a new dr and made an appt to meet her. When I got there, I told both her and her nurse: I am not here because I have any concerns, I just want to become an official patient and this is the only way to do it.

Well a month later, I find out my insurance refused to pay for the visit. I was pissed. I called them and they say: we don't pay for dr visits for weight loss.

???? Huh ????

I was like, I didn't go there for weight loss!! But some dummy coded my visit that way. Yes, I did tell the dr I was on a diet but I also told her a million other things! It was a BIG fight to get the dr to change the code. They seriously told me they weren't changing it! I about came unglued. It did get fixed but it still floors me that had I really gone to see the dr for help in losing weight, my insurance would NOT pay for it. Like trying to lose weight is not health related.

I did change drs btw. Never saw her again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Quoting mypbandj:

And speaking on focusing on prevention instead of racing to the "cure," I feel like health insurances don't like to do that.

I was picking a new dr and made an appt to meet her. When I got there, I told both her and her nurse: I am not here because I have any concerns, I just want to become an official patient and this is the only way to do it.

Well a month later, I find out my insurance refused to pay for the visit. I was pissed. I called them and they say: we don't pay for dr visits for weight loss.

???? Huh ????

I was like, I didn't go there for weight loss!! But some dummy coded my visit that way. Yes, I did tell the dr I was on a diet but I also told her a million other things! It was a BIG fight to get the dr to change the code. They seriously told me they weren't changing it! I about came unglued. It did get fixed but it still floors me that had I really gone to see the dr for help in losing weight, my insurance would NOT pay for it. Like trying to lose weight is not health related.

I did change drs btw. Never saw her again.

What?!  I wonder how the insurance companies are justifying covering costs for one disease over another.   That's crazy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN