Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Focus on the cause/then find the cure

Posted by   + Show Post

Prevention seems to fall last on the list when it comes to any disease. 

Drugs: treat symptoms, not the disease.  Drugs cause disease and more symptoms. 

Foods, Air, Depression, side effects of big pharma growing our food and pumping people with mind altering drugs is giving people cancer, suicide, and diseases at the expense of your life and life savings. 

Obesity is a good example of a preventable disease, and it's also highly visual, and it's generally accepted as a precursor for may preventable diseases.  Obesity is unfairly attacked because of it being so visual.  An obese person is ridiculed for eating a big mac, while a skinny person could be damaging their cholesterol level at the same rate but is most likely less noticed by gawkers.

Obesity is also a side effect of something larger inside of someone that is wrong whether it is physical or mental.  People are not taught to deal with their molestations from childhood.  Even in therapy you are told to take drugs after you tell the therapist about your past and get a little antsy while you do so.  People are not taught to cope with abuse.  They are told to mask the symptom, pop a pill, or in some cases of obesity;  scarf down that food in an attempt to cope with an emotion.  Brain chemistry is also effected by foods we eat.  Like a person addicted to coffee, your body can become addicted to fried foods. 

I don't have an answer;  just making an observation.  Have a good day everyone and be mindful of your temple, the body.  If anyone else has an observation about flaws in society and the way we view health, feel free to share

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Replies (21-24):
alc4evermom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quoting mp3mom:

you know what, I'm sorry, but a Bipolar/Schizophrenic can't possibly get 600mg ginko,200mg,geranium,1000 mg niacin,1cc injection B complex & B 12 3x's/wk, 600mg B complex tablets 3 x's day, 100mg B6 2x's day 1000ui Vit E, 75mg coQ10,DMG,Fish oil, 100mg 3x/day, L-glutamine4g/day,Lecithin, 1 cap before meals, 10,000mg vit C ,Bio-strath, Kelp, 8xs/day, Lithium, by RX, Multi& mineral, thyroid grandular, zinc & maganese... that's just for Schizophrenia...Could they possibly get that from food per day, to control the imbalance of chemicals in their brains.

Quoting LindaClement:

Lots of chemicals are altered by food --in and out of the brain. If they weren't, no one would crave carbs (or chocolate, or caffeine) when they were feeling bad. It works, it's why it's repeated. Vitamins that come in food are much better at affecting body chemistry than those separated from the components our bodies recognize them in (and may well need to use to absorb them)...

Exercise is better, overall, than anything you can put in your mouth, for altering chemistry.

Quoting mp3mom:

I have a tendency to agree; however, a chemical imbalance in the brain has yet to be improved by food, enhanced by vitamins, but not food.

Schizophrenia is a GREAT example of an illness with no known cause or cure.  Is it chemical, environmental, circumstantial due to a traumatic childhood, a combination?  This is an illness where proper nutrition is extremely important, but it's not going to completely help that individual manage their life. 

It is also something that touches home to everyone in America because much of our homeless population are supposedly schizophrenic.  Homelessness in itself is a social disease that has the means to be cured, but has never really been able to be achieved by societies through out history.

I am very skeptical of psychiatry and mental health (though I never want to speak for anyone else but myself in that sense.  People need to do what they feel is best for their recovery).  Mental disorders are controversial because they are hard to prove.  Many of them are based on social norms, and how the regime wants people to behave rather than an actual chemical imbalance--but from what I understand about schizophrenia, the brain scans differ from each other?  I'll read more on it because now I'm interested!

Mental disorders are often results of the incapability to process trauma.  When people go to therapy to talk about their inner most deepest trauma, they get slapped with a mental disorder.  It's very invalidating. 

mp3mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Thanks~ I agree, you should read up.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Quoting mp3mom:

you know what, I'm sorry, but a Bipolar/Schizophrenic can't possibly get 600mg ginko,200mg,geranium,1000 mg niacin,1cc injection B complex & B 12 3x's/wk, 600mg B complex tablets 3 x's day, 100mg B6 2x's day 1000ui Vit E, 75mg coQ10,DMG,Fish oil, 100mg 3x/day, L-glutamine4g/day,Lecithin, 1 cap before meals, 10,000mg vit C ,Bio-strath, Kelp, 8xs/day, Lithium, by RX, Multi& mineral, thyroid grandular, zinc & maganese... that's just for Schizophrenia...Could they possibly get that from food per day, to control the imbalance of chemicals in their brains.

Quoting LindaClement:

Lots of chemicals are altered by food --in and out of the brain. If they weren't, no one would crave carbs (or chocolate, or caffeine) when they were feeling bad. It works, it's why it's repeated. Vitamins that come in food are much better at affecting body chemistry than those separated from the components our bodies recognize them in (and may well need to use to absorb them)...

Exercise is better, overall, than anything you can put in your mouth, for altering chemistry.

Quoting mp3mom:

I have a tendency to agree; however, a chemical imbalance in the brain has yet to be improved by food, enhanced by vitamins, but not food.

Schizophrenia is a GREAT example of an illness with no known cause or cure.  Is it chemical, environmental, circumstantial due to a traumatic childhood, a combination?  This is an illness where proper nutrition is extremely important, but it's not going to completely help that individual manage their life. 

It is also something that touches home to everyone in America because much of our homeless population are supposedly schizophrenic.  Homelessness in itself is a social disease that has the means to be cured, but has never really been able to be achieved by societies through out history.

I am very skeptical of psychiatry and mental health (though I never want to speak for anyone else but myself in that sense.  People need to do what they feel is best for their recovery).  Mental disorders are controversial because they are hard to prove.  Many of them are based on social norms, and how the regime wants people to behave rather than an actual chemical imbalance--but from what I understand about schizophrenia, the brain scans differ from each other?  I'll read more on it because now I'm interested!

Mental disorders are often results of the incapability to process trauma.  When people go to therapy to talk about their inner most deepest trauma, they get slapped with a mental disorder.  It's very invalidating. 

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM

This is called 'take the general to the specific.'

I'm not talking about any specific 'supplement' ... I'm talking about a healthier life.

Your selection of samples aren't 'vitamins'

Quoting mp3mom:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mp3mom:

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM

very insightful

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)