Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Focus on the cause/then find the cure

Posted by   + Show Post

Prevention seems to fall last on the list when it comes to any disease. 

Drugs: treat symptoms, not the disease.  Drugs cause disease and more symptoms. 

Foods, Air, Depression, side effects of big pharma growing our food and pumping people with mind altering drugs is giving people cancer, suicide, and diseases at the expense of your life and life savings. 

Obesity is a good example of a preventable disease, and it's also highly visual, and it's generally accepted as a precursor for may preventable diseases.  Obesity is unfairly attacked because of it being so visual.  An obese person is ridiculed for eating a big mac, while a skinny person could be damaging their cholesterol level at the same rate but is most likely less noticed by gawkers.

Obesity is also a side effect of something larger inside of someone that is wrong whether it is physical or mental.  People are not taught to deal with their molestations from childhood.  Even in therapy you are told to take drugs after you tell the therapist about your past and get a little antsy while you do so.  People are not taught to cope with abuse.  They are told to mask the symptom, pop a pill, or in some cases of obesity;  scarf down that food in an attempt to cope with an emotion.  Brain chemistry is also effected by foods we eat.  Like a person addicted to coffee, your body can become addicted to fried foods. 

I don't have an answer;  just making an observation.  Have a good day everyone and be mindful of your temple, the body.  If anyone else has an observation about flaws in society and the way we view health, feel free to share

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
happy2bmom25
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Wouldnt it be nice if you could just spend your money how you see fit, lile an hsa? & then maybe reserve some money for emergencies or surgeries?

Quoting mypbandj:

And speaking on focusing on prevention instead of racing to the "cure," I feel like health insurances don't like to do that.

I was picking a new dr and made an appt to meet her. When I got there, I told both her and her nurse: I am not here because I have any concerns, I just want to become an official patient and this is the only way to do it.

Well a month later, I find out my insurance refused to pay for the visit. I was pissed. I called them and they say: we don't pay for dr visits for weight loss.

???? Huh ????

I was like, I didn't go there for weight loss!! But some dummy coded my visit that way. Yes, I did tell the dr I was on a diet but I also told her a million other things! It was a BIG fight to get the dr to change the code. They seriously told me they weren't changing it! I about came unglued. It did get fixed but it still floors me that had I really gone to see the dr for help in losing weight, my insurance would NOT pay for it. Like trying to lose weight is not health related.

I did change drs btw. Never saw her again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I think you are right on. 

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Focusing on what is the underlying problem is very important.

Sometimes the problem is stress.  Stress can cause a number of things to go wrong with your body.  

Find the root and you can find your way to a cure.

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM

There are doctors who practice preventative medicine. Here is list to help you find one in your area.

http://www.functionalmedicine.org/

Basherte
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I feel that the way to get people to eat healthier for themselves, will be to get the foods that are healthy to taste a lot better. INstead of just opting for no flavor in the foods you eat because "it it tastes good it can't be good for you'. Maybe add flavor without adding fat. Season the food. Don't just eat it plain. 

There are ways to take the foods that you love the most and make them very healthy for you. 

Of course if it's a dessert, then forget it. I eat desserts because they aren't healthy for you. 

alc4evermom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Quoting Basherte:

I feel that the way to get people to eat healthier for themselves, will be to get the foods that are healthy to taste a lot better. INstead of just opting for no flavor in the foods you eat because "it it tastes good it can't be good for you'. Maybe add flavor without adding fat. Season the food. Don't just eat it plain. 

There are ways to take the foods that you love the most and make them very healthy for you. 

Of course if it's a dessert, then forget it. I eat desserts because they aren't healthy for you. 

all of the desserts in my house are healthy;  I made an apple walnut cake for my boyfriend that was high in protein, fiber, it was gluten free,  all of the different sugars I used were unrefined;  it was a very high energy food.  This is just one example.

while I agree with what you say for the most part, It has been my own experience with people I know that struggle with the "taste" of food, are so addicted to that artificial and processed taste that the healthy natural flavors (which are NOT bland) do not appeal to them.  My cousin always said that turkey and chicken tasted the same to her, but it's because in their house, they  never bought real chicken or turkey---it was always frozen and injected with sodium phosphate.  That's like eating a lunch meat patty.  They are all overweight and have so many health problems it's mind boggling.  

For people who don't understand the relation between food and addiction, It's like people who start to shake and get irritable when they need a cigarette;  anti-nutrient food has the same  effect. 

Someone said vitamins enhance chemistry in the brain, but not food---did I interpret that the right way?  I was going to add that vitamins come from food. 

Well I've read lots of good things;  hope you are all having a great day!  I'm going apple picking woo hoo!!

4kidz916
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Lifestyle is a big factor in our health.

LindaClement
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Lots of chemicals are altered by food --in and out of the brain. If they weren't, no one would crave carbs (or chocolate, or caffeine) when they were feeling bad. It works, it's why it's repeated. Vitamins that come in food are much better at affecting body chemistry than those separated from the components our bodies recognize them in (and may well need to use to absorb them)...

Exercise is better, overall, than anything you can put in your mouth, for altering chemistry.

Quoting mp3mom:

I have a tendency to agree; however, a chemical imbalance in the brain has yet to be improved by food, enhanced by vitamins, but not food.

Basherte
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I didn't say desserts couldn't be healthy. Just that I prefer mine with lots of of the stuff that isn't really good for you.

Desserts as a whole can be healthy as long as you eat them in moderation.

A lot of the things that I've had that are supposed to be healthy for you are bland in my opinion. That's why I experiment at home with spices and seasonings. There are a lot of things that can be used to bring more flavor to the food. 

Like my hamburgers. I add lots of seasoning to them. If I want them to be healthier I use a george foreman grill or any grill for that matter. If I want them even healthier I'll mix the ground beef with another kind of meat that has less fat, that will "soak" up the flavor of the ground beef while cooking. Meaning one that doesn't have as much flavor as ground beef. Turkey and chicken don't taste alike. But they can if you make them the same way. They are what I call the less flavorful meats. The kind of meat with tons of flavor are : emu, buffalo. and things like that. The kind that have tons of flavor without adding anything to them. 

all of the snacks that I give my son are healthy. Either baked or they are fruit snacks and puddin or yogurt. He does get kit kat bars, and chips and cake, but he doesn't get them often. He does get the kit kat bars a little more often than the chips and the cake. Cause there are 4 'bars' in what they call one bar. He gets one of the 4 at a time. 

In the summer time this coming summer I will be making a lot more fruit smoothies and floats. The floats I am planning on using vanilla or plain yogurt for instead of ice cream.  And lots of ice.

My son loves the lower fat smoothies and floats. So do me and my husband. I try to eat as healthy as we can. Also next summer I plan on growing my own herbs and spices so that I can use the more fresh seasonings. It smells so much better in my kitchen when I use fresh. And the taste is a bit better when I use fresh. I also plan on going out for a lot more walks with my son. Starting soon. When it snows I will hopefully already have a snow suit for him so that he can still come with me on the walks. 

I do intend to lose some weight, but I don't intend to make it my life goal. I want to compromise between being obsessive with it and still enjoying my life. and part of enjoying my life is eating the foods that I enjoy. Which is why I'm experimenting with the recipes to see how I can make them healthier without losing the flavor.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Quoting Basherte:

all of the desserts in my house are healthy;  I made an apple walnut cake for my boyfriend that was high in protein, fiber, it was gluten free,  all of the different sugars I used were unrefined;  it was a very high energy food.  This is just one example.

while I agree with what you say for the most part, It has been my own experience with people I know that struggle with the "taste" of food, are so addicted to that artificial and processed taste that the healthy natural flavors (which are NOT bland) do not appeal to them.  My cousin always said that turkey and chicken tasted the same to her, but it's because in their house, they  never bought real chicken or turkey---it was always frozen and injected with sodium phosphate.  That's like eating a lunch meat patty.  They are all overweight and have so many health problems it's mind boggling.  

For people who don't understand the relation between food and addiction, It's like people who start to shake and get irritable when they need a cigarette;  anti-nutrient food has the same  effect. 

Someone said vitamins enhance chemistry in the brain, but not food---did I interpret that the right way?  I was going to add that vitamins come from food. 

Well I've read lots of good things;  hope you are all having a great day!  I'm going apple picking woo hoo!!

mp3mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM

you know what, I'm sorry, but a Bipolar/Schizophrenic can't possibly get 600mg ginko,200mg,geranium,1000 mg niacin,1cc injection B complex & B 12 3x's/wk, 600mg B complex tablets 3 x's day, 100mg B6 2x's day 1000ui Vit E, 75mg coQ10,DMG,Fish oil, 100mg 3x/day, L-glutamine4g/day,Lecithin, 1 cap before meals, 10,000mg vit C ,Bio-strath, Kelp, 8xs/day, Lithium, by RX, Multi& mineral, thyroid grandular, zinc & maganese... that's just for Schizophrenia...Could they possibly get that from food per day, to control the imbalance of chemicals in their brains.

Quoting LindaClement:

Lots of chemicals are altered by food --in and out of the brain. If they weren't, no one would crave carbs (or chocolate, or caffeine) when they were feeling bad. It works, it's why it's repeated. Vitamins that come in food are much better at affecting body chemistry than those separated from the components our bodies recognize them in (and may well need to use to absorb them)...

Exercise is better, overall, than anything you can put in your mouth, for altering chemistry.

Quoting mp3mom:

I have a tendency to agree; however, a chemical imbalance in the brain has yet to be improved by food, enhanced by vitamins, but not food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN