Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Is this too much??

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM
  • 6 Replies

I just started exercising about 3-4 weeks ago.  I've been walking 4 miles 1-2 times a week, 1 mile once a week, and doing an upper body workout once a week.  I just found a race on November 17th that sounds like tons of fun. But, I'd have to be able to run up to a 10k and battle ''gladiators'' and obstacles.  Do you think I could train by then, or am I nuts? I was NOT in good shape before I started working out and am still not, cardiovascular-wise in good shape.

• $25 for Registration for One
  • Obstacle Course with Gladiators
  • Post-Race Party with Refreshments
  • Cash Prizes

Think you're tough? Find out once and for all at the Tough Dash, a grueling obstacle race on November 17. Pay $25 (regularly $50) for registration for one to the outdoor challenge: a roughly 5K-10K race complete with mud pits, obstacles, and live gladiators who'll attempt to stop you in your path to the finish line. After the race, you'll enjoy a party complete with refreshments and cash prizes for the winners. The best part? Proceeds from the event benefit the Monroe Carell Jr. Childrens Hospital at Vanderbilt.

They have a sample 8 week training course that I would have to condense into 5.

Week
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Fri
Sat
back/chest
1 mile
legs
2 miles
sh/bi/tri
2.5 miles
back/chest
2 miles
legs
3.5 miles
sh/bi/tri
3 miles
kettlbebell
total bdy
2.5 miles
balance/yoga
4 miles
agility
3.5 miles
back/chest
3 miles
legs
2.5 miles
sh/bi/tri
4 miles
kettlebell total body
1.5 miles
balance yoga
3 miles
agiliity
4 miles
kettlebell total body
2.5 miles
balance/yoga
2 miles
agility
3.5 miles
chest/back
3 miles
legs
4miles
sh/tri/bi
4 miles
total body
1 mile
agility
1 mile
rest
rest
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I do think it might be too much for a beginner, but do YOU think it's too much for you?  You don't want to injure yourself training and then not be able to participate because of it.

simfam1
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Quoting amonkeymom:

I do think it might be too much for a beginner, but do YOU think it's too much for you?  You don't want to injure yourself training and then not be able to participate because of it.

I'm not sure. I think I'm right on the ledge.  I'm pretty strong, I just need to build on that and build up endurance and work on running.

mp3mom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

If you're in good shape, it seems reasonable.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

If you're doing it to have fun, why not?  I wouldn't look at it like a test but something that's fun to do.  It's not like you'll be penalized if you can't do everything of if you get tired.  Go for it. Be sure to listen to your body and not over work yourself either.

CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM
For fun, I don't see why not!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

i really think you could injure yourself training for something that hardcore in a month. why not pick something more attainable for now and promise yourself you will do this challenge next year?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)