Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I need quick, healthy and cheap dinner recipes

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I work and I have a baby, so by the time I get home, get her fed and then in bed, dinner can sometimes not get started until close to 8pm and I am hitting a total wall trying to think of quick recipes. My only requirement is that they not be too fussy and they they include at least one vegetable and a protein (doesn't have to be meat, we like eggs and beans too). Crockpot ideas are awesome too! Thanks in advance!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
amonkeymom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

If you don't mind doing the prep work (chopping veggies) the night before this Tomato Soup is wonderful...  

Karen_Dover
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

That does look good. I don't mind doing prep the night before. Thanks!

mp3mom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome~ check out our Recipe Folder at the top; it's got tons of great ideas :)

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to suggest beans in the crockpot.  Beans are about as cheap as you can get and the crockpot is super easy, although not quick but you can cook them while you're working.  You can spruce up the beans buy adding TONS of cut up fresh veggies to them and lots of different spices.

And to make different versions of beans, sometimes you can add things like ground meat to them and serve alone or with rice or tortillas or cornbread, etc.

You can also make things like fritta (which is just a baked open face omelet).  Those can have fresh veggies added to them as well and cheese, bake in the oven and you're done.  You can eat those with sauteed potatoes and onions or alone or with salad.

You can make simple  soups with fresh pureed tomatoes and cut up veggies and maybe throw some rice or pasta in too. 

Karen_Dover
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I hadn't thought of a frittatta! That's a good idea, thanks! And actually, if I can crank that out before the baby goes to bed, she could eat that too.

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Eat leftovers.

Prep and cook when you have the time and eat leftovers.

We eat leftovers a lot during the week.  It's just easier sometimes.

erikays
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
I love crockpot meals! Yesterday I was at my daughters Dr until 7:15pm! I was sooo thankful for that little thing :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN