Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Wheezing

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Jen
  • 17 Replies
Anyone have any experience with wheezing??

I have an upper respiratory thing going on and when I lie down, I hear this faint squeaky, drawn out hiss coming from my throat. It happens at the end of my exhales.

After googling it, I think it's wheezing. I went to the dr and he just gave me some cough meds with codeine - which I won't take b/ it will knock me out and I don't feel comfortable being out of it with a young toddler in the house. He also gave me a nasal spray. Weird cause my nose is not stuffy at all.

I have a cool mist humidifier on at night. What else can I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Wheezing occurs on the exhalation breath, but it's more int he upper chest than the throat.  Is it possible you have some phlegm in your throat that rattling around when you breathe?  I would try mucinex (generic is fine) to break up whatever is in there if you feel you have stuff in there.  What did the doctor say?  Did he/she hear wheezing or mucus in your chest?

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I agree with the mucinex, we gave some to our middle son when he was wheezing.  Well, it wasn't mucinex but a more natural child safe medicine.

cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Do you have a nebulizer??  If so, put saline in it and use until it is done.  I have done this for myself and my kids.

LindaClement
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Clinical wheezing isn't a throat-based noise, but a lung one.

I'd go the slippery-elm route: tea made with it is great for your lungs. So is natural honey, particularly if you can get local honey. 

Salt & vinegar chips with a LOT of water (not in a bowl, in your mouth!) can kill viruses pretty quickly, and loosen secretions... which is more likely what this is...

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I agree with the others, sounds like mucus in your chest.  I wouldn't take the medicine either.  Do you think you're having a reaction to any food you've eaten?

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Dr said my chest was clear. But I think it's gone. I should have just been patient. LOL

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Wheezing occurs on the exhalation breath, but it's more int he upper chest than the throat.  Is it possible you have some phlegm in your throat that rattling around when you breathe?  I would try mucinex (generic is fine) to break up whatever is in there if you feel you have stuff in there.  What did the doctor say?  Did he/she hear wheezing or mucus in your chest?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I don't.

Quoting cmorris1200:

Do you have a nebulizer??  If so, put saline in it and use until it is done.  I have done this for myself and my kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Quoting mypbandj:

Glad it cleared up.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I'm SO glad to hear this!  

Quoting mypbandj:

Dr said my chest was clear. But I think it's gone. I should have just been patient. LOL

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN