Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

More Realistic Models?

Posted by   + Show Post

Kate Upton: I'm Not Going to Starve to Be Thin

By MindBodyGreen
Promoting a positive body image is something we think is hugely important here at MBG. If you haven't heard about this yet, 20-year-old model, Kate Upton, was recently slammed for her weight by a pro-skinny website. (Yes, this is ridiculous.) Here's what they said about Kate:
Huge thighs, NO waist, big fat floppy boobs, terrible body definition – she looks like a squishy brick. Is this what American women are “striving” for now? The lazy, lardy look? Have we really gotten so fat in this country that Kate is the best we can aim for? Sorry, but: eww!
Are you serious???

If there's a silver lining here, it's that Kate isn't letting this slide. She tells The Daily Mail:
‘It was hard when I was first in the industry and people were like: “No, you are fat.” 
‘But my body is something that you have to work out and eat healthily for. I’m not doing drugs or not eating. I want to enjoy life and I can’t be enjoying life if I’m not eating and miserable.
'Young models – these agents are horrible to them they treat them so badly. I went to Australia and my agent there said don’t call me if you need anything, just show up on these castings.  Some models don’t say anything [about being sleazed] on but I’m very verbal I always said something.'
We think Kate is gorgeous and we bet you do, too :)

Photo credit: Shutterstock

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
erikays
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I wish I had that bod! She looks great :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bertha21
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I don't think she is gorgeous but she has a pretty body :]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM

What??!! That is terrible! I hate people, magazines, etc.. talking like that. I think she looks great and I'm glad she has this attitude. It's awesome she doesn't let anyone get her down.

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I think the whole thing is truly an objectification of the models.  They aren't there to be representing an actual person wearing the designers clothing, but rather a walking hanger with accessories.  That's why the designers want stick-thin models - because the clothes just kind of hang there and drape the way the designer intended, not the way a real woman would fill out an outfit. 

Quoting Alyson121:

I think she looks great.  I wonder what all the fuss is about a model's size?  Where did it  come from?

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

And, OMW, if that is fat then gawd help the rest of us normal sized ladies. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Figures it was about money initially - want to cut cost and just fit everyone into one clothing size so they didn't have to pay more.

And yeah, i was familiar with the more "rounded" and "fuller" a person was that it meant they had wealth since they could afford things like milk, butter, meat, etc.

Quoting Basherte:

Originally, it was because they wanted people that fit the size clothing that they made for samples.

The less amount of material used the cheaper it is to make. 

All those pro skinny people seem to forget is that it wasn't always like this. It wasn't always about being skinny. There was a time when heavier women were searched for and wanted over the thin/skinny girls. Because back then being heavier meant that you were wealthy. And influential. Money and power were attractive. There were lots of things that only the rich could afford food wise. So to be heavy meant that you were rich. 

Quoting Alyson121:

I think she looks great.  I wonder what all the fuss is about a model's size?  Where did it  come from?

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM

ummmm . . . i can see that too.  Women are not women, just things.  *smh*  Kinda like  a walking mannequin. 

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I think the whole thing is truly an objectification of the models.  They aren't there to be representing an actual person wearing the designers clothing, but rather a walking hanger with accessories.  That's why the designers want stick-thin models - because the clothes just kind of hang there and drape the way the designer intended, not the way a real woman would fill out an outfit. 

Quoting Alyson121:

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Okay? Really. 

Quoting cleanaturalady:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Right on mama!  LOL!  You crack me up!

Quoting cleanaturalady:

mp3mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM

That's what I'll look like when my kids cough up the $25,000 I'm charging them when they graduate college for my tummy tuck & boob job...though, I think her boobs are a bit overdone; I'd settle for my old C, and I'm a bit skinnier. Good for her, though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)