Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Groceries for $50 a week

How To Shop For Groceries With $50.00 (2 adults& 2 children). Meal plans, grocery lists and lots of frugal ideas

Click the pic for the link

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
moroccanmommy
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Isn't your rate of pay higher than ours? Crazy prices
Quoting KristinRox:

I know!!!!!!!! Food here, compared to over there is sooooo much more expensive. If I go to Maine I usually stock up on milk, cheese, eggs and meat, because the prices here are usually double or triple. For instance grated cheese over in Maine is 2.50, here its 7 dollars. Eggs there are like 1.99, and here they are 4 dollars. The same turkey that I buy there is like 18 dollars, and it would be 35 here. Its nuts.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting KristinRox:

I could never get that here for 50 dollars. The milk alone would be 32 dollars. Its about 8 dollars a gallon here.

Thats crazy !!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Wow! I spend between $50-100 a week depending on what I have to buy.
cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM

She has two small kids and a baby, plus her and her husband. 

Quoting Wish2Be:

how many does this feed?

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The idea is to stock up on things when they are at their lowest price.  You get enough to last until the next sale, which is anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months depending on the store and product. 

Quoting nancym3:

Why does one need 8 things of deodorant or that many spaghetti noodles?

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I've been reading her blog and she seems like she has fairly easy meals, pretty balanced with fresh and frozen veggies and fruit, and buys what's on sale and goes to multiple stores.  

The organic thing is a personal preference.  During less lean (money wise) times, I bought exclusively organic foods (as well as personal care products) and wouldn't budge on that.  Then, the recession hit.  Not only has my husband not had a raise in 3 years, but has taken a pay-cut during that time as well.  Meanwhile, my kids turned into TEENAGERS and the eat a whole lot of food. I had to change the way I shopped.

I started using coupons about a year and a half ago and have gathered a modest stock of things so there is no mad dash to the store because my daughter is out of shampoo or I need tampons.  I use coupons together with sales on everything personal care related, from cough syrup to shaving cream and never pay more than half regular price for those items.  Usually I can get a 60-70% discount on those items.

I also have a stock of non-perishable foods and make my meal plans based on what I have on hand and what's on sale.  I get what I can at Albertson's (usually) using coupons and sales and then round out my shopping with purchases at Aldis on things I couldn't find at a good price anywhere else. 

I shop every 2 weeks and have gotten it down to a little over 200.00, so that's a bit over 100.00 a week to feed 2 adults and 4 teenagers.  I think that's about as good as I can hope for for now.  

Changing my shopping habits allowed me to continue to stay at home.  I've found that as they get to be tweens and teens, they need a parent home more than ever, at least mine did, and still do.  If the economy picks back up or my husband finds himself making more money in the future, I will go back to my all natural and organic shopping style.

I know my consession aren't for everyone and that everyone has a line in the sand when it comes to certain things.  Mine is cleaning products.  I will not use commercial cleaning products, only all natural or ones I make myself.  It's all a matter of finding your bottom line and doing what works for your family.

Lol.  Sorry, I wrote a novel there. ;)

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM

We couldn't do that, but it's awesome that people can!

cleanaturalady
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Yea, no way with your vegan + honey diet.  Anyone with a special diet would have a hard time. 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

SabrinaLC
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Yes, it's tough.  We spent between $200 and $300 a week on groceries and that's really just food.  I'm sure we could cut that back if we altered our eating to use less packages but sometimes it's easier for the kids when they can't eat what we're having.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Yea, no way with your vegan + honey diet.  Anyone with a special diet would have a hard time. 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

***Sabrina *~* wife to Matt  8/6/05*~*Mommy to Isaac 7/25/06, *~*Liam 7/30/08, *~* and Eban 6/24/10***

LuvMySavage
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM
This is us too. But all we buy is food.

As far as cleaning goes, I use vinegar, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide to clean everything. I even use it for dishwashing powder, and laundry detergent.

I use vinegar to clean my hair, BS for my face, and DR Bronners as body wash. DH uses DR Bronners for everything from shampoo to shave cream.

We cloth diaper/wipe and I use a diva cup/mama cloth. I use family cloth.

Anyway, we don't buy any home/personal care products except for the above listed. 95% of our grocery budget goes to food.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Yes, it's tough.  We spent between $200 and $300 a week on groceries and that's really just food.  I'm sure we could cut that back if we altered our eating to use less packages but sometimes it's easier for the kids when they can't eat what we're having.

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmorris1200
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Quoting dream528:

Wow! Yeah, if you really plan things out and shop at the right stores, you can keep your weekly bill down for sure.

I tend to take the convenient route and go the the local ma & pa type grocery store (it's right down the street from me) and their prices tend to be a bit higher.  But I know if I shopped smarter, I could totally keep my bill lower.

I would rather pay a little extra and know  that I am a supporting at local family chain.  We have Stew Leonard's and another  family chain in our area.  I love that they list what locally grown produce they get during the summer.  I can talk to butcher or at the fish section and know I will get what I want.   Customer service can trump saving money.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)