Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a social worker and I'm in my car a lot amd at peoples houses. I've been doing this a couple months now and I'm eating a lot of fast food. I use to never eat fast food maybe once in a very blue moon. I dont buy processed food for my house. But I feel I have no choice When I'm on the road.
Unless I eat sandwiches every single day I work 10 hours. I need some ideas. I don't want to eat this garbage but I'm hungry. There is nowhere for me to heat up food. And I have thermoses but I don't know how long the food would be good for I don't want to get food poisoning.
Help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Replies (11-18):
moroccanmommy
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Bored..lmao....
thanks

Quoting SabrinaLC:

How does that not work for 10 hours?

It sounds like  a healthy choice to me.

My husband is gone at work from 7am - 5pm.  Each day he takes fruits, nuts/dried fruits, a salad, granola bar and water.  

You say you are in a car a lot?  Not very active?  You don't need to be eating huge amounts of food anyway so this would be a perfect suggestion.  Maybe you're so hungry because you're bored?  Try drinking more water.

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Yeah...that doesn't cut it for 10 hours...

any other ideas

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  You can bring sandwiches with you, raw veggies, nuts, fruit, etc.  You can bring a little cooler with you for the veggies and fruit.  Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Lunch crock
Those crock pots big enough for one person
Find a car adapter that can plug normal plug things into it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Agreed!  Bring a cooler!!! :)  Yogurt, applesauce cups, trail mix, sandwiches, soup in a thermos... there are so many options!  As long as you are not eating the hot stuff in the last hour of working, it will be fine halfway through the day. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group!  You can bring sandwiches with you, raw veggies, nuts, fruit, etc.  You can bring a little cooler with you for the veggies and fruit.  Good luck!

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Great idea! 

http://www.crock-pot.com/product.aspx?pid=10153

Crock-Pot® Lunch Crock® Warmer

Quoting peaches_04:

Lunch crock

peaches_04
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I started eating way better at work after I got one:)

Quoting Threes.Company:

Great idea! 

Quoting peaches_04:

Lunch crock

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I am actually a SAHM, but I'd love one for DH so I can send my crock pot leftovers to work with him! :)

Quoting peaches_04:

I started eating way better at work after I got one:)

Quoting Threes.Company:

Great idea! 

Quoting peaches_04:

Lunch crock

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I'm totally going to get one for hubby.  He just takes the fermented cabbage i make for him but can't take hot foods.  Thanks!!! Those look really cute too.

Quoting Threes.Company:

Great idea! 

Quoting peaches_04:

Lunch crock

Alyson121
by Alyson on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

First you'll probably have to wean yourself off the fast food craving while at work.  It really makes it tough when you're on the road and all you see are those big flashy signs "eat here!!" 

The suggestions the ladies gave are great.  What it means is that you'll have to do allot of prep work in order to eat healthy food while at work. 

Not sure if you already have a cooler but that would be a great start.  There's tons of places that sell mini coolers that don't cost much.  That way you can store any fresh produce you're taking for food that day.  You can also store cold drinks, cold sandwiches, salads, etc.

The mini crock seems like a great idea so you can have those hot lunches you desire, especially as the weather starts to cool. 

Another thing you can do, is find were local, locally owned cafes are in your area and stop by there for lunch.  If you do a search on Yelp.com for "gourmet food" or "organic cafe" etc and type in your area then something should come up.  That way instead of stopping at the super fast food places, you can stop by a place where the food is allot healthier.  One draw back to the cafes is there food tends to be allot more expensive, since allot of their food is organic, local, etc.

Ohhh and the suggestion to drink lots of water is a good one too. 

Lastly, if you're just super pressed for time, it's too much to pack lunches and lug coolers, crock pots, etc stock up on kombucha tea and carry those with you.  I've left mine out overnight and they were still good.  Plus they're GREAT for hunger, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)