Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Flu in pregnancy, Autism linked??

Posted by   + Show Post

A Danish study published online today in Pediatrics is already causing concern among pregnant women -- and sparking criticism.

After NBC aired a segment about the study on "Today," questions about the methods used in the study arose as quickly as alarming headlines suggesting a link between fever or flu during pregnancy and autism.

The Danish researchers questioned mothers of almost 100,000 children born in Denmark between 1997 and 2003 about their history of infection, influenza and antibiotic use during pregnancy.

The results initially seem significant: Women who reported having the flu while pregnant were twice as likely to have kids who developed autism.

A week-long fever indicated a tripled risk. But, as the authors themselves point out, "misreporting of influenza is likely to be considerable," and "The results may be due to multiple testing; the few positive findings are potential chance findings."

Others questioned the comparisons drawn in the study: "The more comparisons you make, the more likely some difference will look important when it's not," Emily Willingham wrote for Forbes.

"[This] study is purely explorative and it is far too soon to suggest any clinical implications," HealthDayquotes study lead author Dr. Hjordis Osk Atladottir, of the Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine at University of Aarhus. "Indeed, the study shows that around 99 percent of women experiencing influenza, fever or taking antibiotics during pregnancy do not have children with autism."

Other recent studies have had mixed findings: a Swedish study found no link between infections and autism, although a study from the U.S. found that women who had fevers while pregnant were twice as likely to have a child with autism or a developmental disorder, and another Danish study showed an association between hospital visits in the first trimester and autism.

While the results of the study may be speculative, advice seems to be consistent on one front: if you're pregnant, get a flu shot.

What are your opinions on this? Does this make you want to get a flu shot (considering you are pregnant, that is)? 

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Replies (71-80):
lancet98
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

In the studies I read, there weren't actually any hard and fast rules laid down about how women should get the flu shot or else their child will get autism.   There are too many unknowns at this point.

People seem to be INFERRING that these studies are somehow saying that the study has enough evidence to prove that everyone must now take the flu vaccine.   Well, frankly, it would be good if people did, if only so they didn't get the flu, but people won't, because many dislike this vaccine or that vaccine or the other vaccine.

To be quite honest, only the future can tell if there is a hard-and-fast linkup between autism and flu.  Timing seems to be crucial.  What I mean is that if this linkup does become firm, when the virus strikes during the pregnancy (how old the fetus is) is probably going to be very important.   Also, if it ever proves to be a firm cause of autism, it isn't likely to be the only factor involved.   For example, perhaps it will come out some day that autism genes plus flu infection may add up to a more severe autism.   But at this point, it's conjecture.

At the conference I  heard day before yesterday, the top researchers in the world on the linkup between neurological illness and infectious agents, STATED -  categorically, there is no evidence at this point that their research now does or ever will, prove viruses are sufficient IN AND OF THEMSELVES to cause the neurological disease  they're investigating(this was toxoplasma gondii, ehvs-1,etc). 

If you are comfortable with the flu shot, get it, if you're not comfortable with the flu shot, you're unlikely to go out and get it, even if a study raises questions.

The flu shot, for me, has worked very well, and I've never had any trouble with them.  No one I know has had any trouble with it, but I do know a person who came very close to dying of the swine flu.   Because of his age, he'd never been exposed to a flu virus similar to the swine flu virus - exposure and recovery would have helped him later fight off the swine flu virus.   There was a similar flu virus in the 70's - similar enough anyway to help those who had recovered from it, fight off swine flu, anyway, but he was too young to ave gotten that flu in the 70's.   He was in the hospital for two months.  He 'flat lined' many times - it was extremely bad.   Most of the time he was in a coma but he still now has PTSD from it.   His lungs were permanently damaged by the virus, so he now has asthma.  

I have a chronic illness so I must absolutely NOT get the flu  - it would be likely to kill me.   I have no choice, I get the flu and the pneumonia vaccine.

Most people don't have any trouble with the flu shot - but people will believe what they want to believe.   No sense in wasting one's breath trying to convince them otherwise.

emmy526
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Top 10 selling flu vaccines of 2012

Every flu season is different. Strains evolve and influenza vaccine manufacturers alter their formulas to meet those changes, covering the three influenza viruses that research indicates will be most prevalent during a given season.

But despite the wide availability of a vaccine--the U.S. FDA green-lighted influenza vaccines from 6 vaccine manufacturers this year--the illness remains a killer. Between 1976 and 2007, estimates of the number of flu-associated deaths range from 3,000 to 49,000, the Centers for Disease Control reports. About 90% of those deaths happened among people ages 65 and older.  

Further, vaccination rates last season fell far below the CDC's target rates of 80%, coming in at around 42%. About 39% of adults were vaccinated during the 2011-2012 influenza season, compared with 75% of children between the ages of 6 months and 23 months and just more than a third of adolescents.

This year, a total of 135 million doses of influenza vaccine will be on hand.

So, what do these less-than-stellar vaccination rates mean for sales? Looking at actual worldwide sales  for 2011 and 2012 sales estimates provided by EvaluatePharma, it appears sales as a whole will rise only slightly for the top 10 best-selling flu vaccines.

Novartis ($NVS) will likely see the biggest jump in sales, with its OptaFlu vaccine; the company reported $36 million in 2011 sales, and EvaluatePharma projects $71 million for 2012. Sanofi ($SNY) and Sanofi Pasteur MSD's Fluzone (sold as Vaxigrip outside the U.S.) will likely bring a $10 million jump in sales, to $1.343 billion this year from $1.333 billion in 2011.

The outlook isn't all promising for the top 10, though. Abbott Laboratories' ($ABT) Influvac will probably see a $10 million drop, to an estimated $188 million in 2012 from $198 million in 2011, Evaluate Pharma says. Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma's BIKEN HA vaccine is also expected to lose out, slumping by $6 million to a projected $108 million this year from $114 million in 2011.

Still, an aging population means more need for the flu vaccine, Jon Moser, senior analyst at EvaluatePharma, told FierceVaccines in an email.

"The changing world demographic provides a definite opportunity for companies offering flu vaccines, as populations age and chronic conditions become more prevalent," Moser said. "With this trend towards an older, less healthy population, demand should continue to increase for flu vaccines for the foreseeable future, with a non-specific vaccine that can protect against ever-evolving influenza strains being the holy grail in this space."

We'll see whether Moser's prediction pans out. -- Alison Bryant (email | Twitter)

Who: Sanofi/Sanofi Pasteur MSD

What: Fluzone/Vaxigrip

Estimated sales: $1.343 billion

Who: GlaxoSmithKline ($GSK)

What: FluLaval/Fluviral

Estimated sales: $375 million            

Who: Novartis

What: Fluvirin

Estimated sales: $359 million

Who: Abbott Laboratories

What: Influvac

Estimated sales: $188 million

Who: AstraZeneca ($AZN)

WhatFluMist

Estimated sales: $162 million

Who: Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma         
What: BIKEN HA

Estimated sales: $108 million

Who: Novartis

What: OptaFlu

Estimated sales: $71 million

Who: Johnson & Johnson ($JNJ)

What: Inflexal V

Estimated sales: $35 million

Who: Sinovac Biotech ($SVA)   

What: Anflu

Estimated sales: $10 million

Who: Laboratorios Farmacéuticos ROVI

What: Levrison

Estimated sales: $3 million

Read more: Top 10 selling flu vaccines of 2012 - FierceVaccines http://www.fiercevaccines.com/special-reports/top-10-selling-flu-vaccines-2012#ixzz2CKiV8wHN 
Subscribe: http://www.fiercevaccines.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceVaccines-FierceVaccines
emmy526
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

the flu has been around for centuries, and there isn't anything recorded in medical history of scores of autistic children being born to those mothers who had flu,  either...and, you can't speak for most people, as you don't know who's had problems with it or not.  Most people i know who got the shot had nothing but illness and problems from it, from immediately afterwards, to within hours to a couple days. Whether it was the mist or injectable form they received.  

Quoting lancet98:

In the studies I read, there weren't actually any hard and fast rules laid down about how women should get the flu shot or else their child will get autism.   There are too many unknowns at this point.

People seem to be INFERRING that these studies are somehow saying that the study has enough evidence to prove that everyone must now take the flu vaccine.   Well, frankly, it would be good if people did, if only so they didn't get the flu, but people won't, because many dislike this vaccine or that vaccine or the other vaccine.

To be quite honest, only the future can tell if there is a hard-and-fast linkup between autism and flu.  Timing seems to be crucial.  What I mean is that if this linkup does become firm, when the virus strikes during the pregnancy (how old the fetus is) is probably going to be very important.   Also, if it ever proves to be a firm cause of autism, it isn't likely to be the only factor involved.   For example, perhaps it will come out some day that autism genes plus flu infection may add up to a more severe autism.   But at this point, it's conjecture.

At the conference I  heard day before yesterday, the top researchers in the world on the linkup between neurological illness and infectious agents, STATED -  categorically, there is no evidence at this point that their research now does or ever will, prove viruses are sufficient IN AND OF THEMSELVES to cause the neurological disease  they're investigating(this was toxoplasma gondii, ehvs-1,etc). 

If you are comfortable with the flu shot, get it, if you're not comfortable with the flu shot, you're unlikely to go out and get it, even if a study raises questions.

The flu shot, for me, has worked very well, and I've never had any trouble with them.  No one I know has had any trouble with it, but I do know a person who came very close to dying of the swine flu.   Because of his age, he'd never been exposed to a flu virus similar to the swine flu virus - exposure and recovery would have helped him later fight off the swine flu virus.   There was a similar flu virus in the 70's - similar enough anyway to help those who had recovered from it, fight off swine flu, anyway, but he was too young to ave gotten that flu in the 70's.   He was in the hospital for two months.  He 'flat lined' many times - it was extremely bad.   Most of the time he was in a coma but he still now has PTSD from it.   His lungs were permanently damaged by the virus, so he now has asthma.  

I have a chronic illness so I must absolutely NOT get the flu  - it would be likely to kill me.   I have no choice, I get the flu and the pneumonia vaccine.

Most people don't have any trouble with the flu shot - but people will believe what they want to believe.   No sense in wasting one's breath trying to convince them otherwise.

jazzieel
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM

My oldest dd has Autism. Her father has a mild case of it. I believe it is hereditary. My hubby is 44 yrs. old. He has other family members who have mild cases of it. Some much older than him. So I feel that hereditary explains it well.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM
I had the flu when I was pregnant, yes I'm sure it was the flu I went to the doctor and got tested. I didn't get my flu shot I never have nor will I ever. I didn't take any medicine for it. My daughter is def not autistic.
karamille
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I lost a pregnancy in second trimester due to contracting influenza.  I have never been so sick in my life.  My temp went over above 105.  Pathology confirmed that influenza caused the baby's death.  :(  

darkwhisper
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

A lot of women can't take flu shots at all. Like me for instance. I'm allergic to eggs, as are alot of people these days. It's actually very dangerous these days. I have a friend who found out she was pregnant, and the health department didn't even give her a choice. They didn't ask her if she was allergic to anything before giving her a flu shot.

chelseamcnorman
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Surprise, surprise. 

"Vacines don't contribute to the autism explosion... no no, in fact, LACK of vaccines might. Get your flu shot!"

What propagandistic filth. Here's the UNTWISTED truth of the matter: 85% percent of women have an infection when they deliver. This means that the baby, as it travels through the birth canal, will be picking up bad bacteria instead of beneficial bacteria. This automatically lowers a baby's immunity and puts him/her at greater risk for autism. Furthermore, many of these moms (including myself) pass the infection itself to the baby during delivery, so the baby is then put of antibiotics, which, ironically, ends up killing the good bacteria (not just the bad); hence, the child's immune system becomes even weaker and then he/she is at greater risk of developing autism when exposed to environmental triggers (i.e.: vaccines, pesticides in foods, GMO baby formula, etc.).

Big Pharma, "coincidentally" one of the most powerful industries worldwide, knows these facts. They also know that most moms who have an infection when delivering their baby (again, 85%), logically are not in pristine health themselves and probably had the flu at some point in their pregnancies. This article is nothing more than Big Pharma propaganda, classically twisting a truth into a lie, so as to enrich themselves even further at the expense of everyone else's health. Disgusting. 

chelseamcnorman
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

... usually these "links" are convenient distractions to the ACTUAL triggers of autism (candida, vaccines, pesticides, GMOs, etc.). These distractions--er, "links"-- are usually derived from actual facts, at which point they become so entirely twisted in the favor of Big Industries so that they no longer resemble anything other than thinly-veiled propaganda. 

Quoting Charizma77:

I have a child with autism but never had the ful while pregnant.  I was healthy as a horse!  Seems there is always a new link to autism. 

chelseamcnorman
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM

The whole premise of the study is a flaw. But luckily, for the big corporations who stand to profit, many people don't double check premises. 

Quoting Marti123:

I think the study is flawed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN