Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Family suffers from itchy bumps all over body

Posted by   + Show Post

It started with my husband who this summer started getting very itchy and it didn't pass on to me till we moved into our new house this September. The bumps on both of us didn't appear till about that time as well and they've only escalated since then. I went to the doctor and he said no sign of any type of bug/mites but thought it might be PUPP since i'm pregnant. Well I used the cream he gave me and it had no effect. 

I've started noticing small little bumps on my three year olds back but he doesn't ever complain that it itches so I don't know if that's just coincidence. All three of us do suffer from eczema and i'm wondering if maybe something at our new house has flared the eczema. Just don't know what on earth could have done that.

We have been using the same soaps as we always have and our water doesn't smell very strong of chlorine or anything. 

My husband has it worse then I do but this constant itching and bumps has gone on long enough! Most of my bumps are around my tummy area but I have some on my back and backside of my knees. My thighs really itch but there are no bumps. My husband has them all over very bad. From his hands to his feet. We've tried so many different things to help ease the itching:

-vaseline

-aloe

-oatmeal baths

-bath oils

-changing laundry detergent to hypo-allergenic 

-my husband has started benedryl which seems to kind of be working but leaves me SOL with being pregnant

We're just at a loss and having to spend money on the doctor for them to not know what it is seems silly. Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe a stronger method of relieving itching? It would be SO appreciated! I don't think we can stand it much longer!

pregnancy calendar

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Oh really? Well I just assumed that would be nice if I could. I'll ask my Dr.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

.....Why can't you take Benadryl pregnant?  That's one of the few things that was on my safe list.

pregnancy calendar

Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM

We did take a look at the bed and didn't see anything. We just got the bed in January how awful would that be! We also had memory foam on the bed that we replaced with new but that didn't help either.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I would think bugs. Have you checked your bed for bed bugs?

pregnancy calendar

Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

That's good to know! Thank you! I heard about the carpet, I knid of hope that's it because my husband owns a carpet cleaning business and I know he does a good job and what he uses on it (he's not the one that cleaned our carpets before we moved in). Although, I think the carpet might be newer. I'll have to look up ACV thanks again!

That's Quoting Alyson121:

Vaseline and any other petroleum products are a not good for the skin at all, it tends to make rashes worse and totally dries out the skin. 

If you're using Aveeno oatmeal baths, they have allot of filler ingredients that pretty much make their products useless.

It could be the carpet (if you have any) in your new home that's making it worse.  We had that issue when we'd moved into a new house because the carpet was about 10 years old.  Plus, the chemicals that were used to clean the carpet affected me and my children as well.

You can stop using detergent and just use ACV.  There's a post in this group about using ACV for laundry.

If you take baths instead of showers, use aloe vera juice (make sure it's the real deal) in your bath water AND add ACV as well.  After bathing make an aloe vera juice spray (half aloe vera and half filtered water) to spray on your body.  Don't use over the counter lotions.  Use the coconut oil as a moisturizer instead.

Over the counter soaps dry the skin and cause irritation as well.  If you can find some African Black Soap us that.  They have a brand that is sold at Target, not sure if it's at all Targets.  You can also find it online.  Oatmeal soaps are good too.  However, you'd have to buy those from a farmer market or online as well. 

No body sprays, or other chemicals should be used either.

Try this for about 7 days and see if there's any improvement. 

Checking your diet is also helpful as well.

pregnancy calendar

LindaClement
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I'd have to see it to know, but some other ideas:

high-tide rash (usually from swimming pools or hot tubs)

swimmer's itch (usually from outdoor swimming or well water)

liver disease (which can include Hep... so maybe worth checking out)

scabies (did your doctor use a microscope?)

BelindaDuvessa
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM

That was one of the first things I received when I had my first Doctor's Visit.

Quoting Keatonzmom:

Oh really? Well I just assumed that would be nice if I could. I'll ask my Dr.

Quoting BelindaDuvessa:

.....Why can't you take Benadryl pregnant?  That's one of the few things that was on my safe list.

mp3mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry to hear of this; it sounds very strange. I'd see a doctor, IMO. You could possibly have your water checked, too; it could be anything.  I hope you get it settled soon.

Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Well my husband is going in to see the dermetologist in about an hour. Hopefully we'll find out. Hoping it's just that I do have PUPP and his eczema just got worse instead of scabies. Guess it's good I got a free Turkey at Winco in case we need to stay home for Thanksgiving=)

Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Ugh.. how frustrating. My husbands dermatologist is conviced it's eczema and since our symptoms are different and in different areas he's not worried about me at all. He said there's only a small chance for it to be scabies. OK.. well we didn't pay for him to tell us what we already knew. I should have gone to the appointment with him. How hard is it to get a definite yes or no if it's scabies. I mean run a damn test! I have my sister and her son coming next week and i'd like to know for sure that I won't be spreading anything to them. Oh, and to top it off.. the dermatologist gave him something for scabies just in case and it would help the eczema if it wasn't scabies anyway. Ok.. well that doesn't reassure me at all. What about my son and I if it is scabies? My husband will just get it again and there's money wasted on meds. RRR. 

cleanaturalady
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

How frustrating for you.  I second the coconut oil and ACV that someone suggest and will throw castor oil into the mix (applied topically).  Also there are essential oils that are particularly good for skin and/or antimicrobial action, but check with your doctor before using them, of course, because they are to be treated as medicines.  The ones I would recommend are geranium, tea tree, lavender, chamomile and rosemary.

Quoting Keatonzmom:

Ugh.. how frustrating. My husbands dermatologist is conviced it's eczema and since our symptoms are different and in different areas he's not worried about me at all. He said there's only a small chance for it to be scabies. OK.. well we didn't pay for him to tell us what we already knew. I should have gone to the appointment with him. How hard is it to get a definite yes or no if it's scabies. I mean run a damn test! I have my sister and her son coming next week and i'd like to know for sure that I won't be spreading anything to them. Oh, and to top it off.. the dermatologist gave him something for scabies just in case and it would help the eczema if it wasn't scabies anyway. Ok.. well that doesn't reassure me at all. What about my son and I if it is scabies? My husband will just get it again and there's money wasted on meds. RRR. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
That's very frustrating! Maybe you need a new dr! LOL

I was allowed to take benedryl when I was pregnant. I know that people sometimes like to avoid everything/anything unless necessary. I had a terribly itch rash and its the only way I got sleep.

Coconut oil like others mentioned might help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN