Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Can eating dates make your labor and delivery pain free?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 13 Replies

Saw this on my FB timeline.  There's been a study that says consuming dates the last month of pregnancy can make the labor and deliver "easy" and pain free.  To bad i'm not pregnant to test this out myself. 

The effect of late pregnancy consumption of date fruit on labour and delivery.

Source

Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan. oqba@yahoo.com

Abstract

We set out to investigate the effect of date fruit (Phoenix dactylifera) consumption on labour parameters and delivery outcomes. Between 1 February 2007 and 31 January 2008 at Jordan University of Science and Technology, a prospective study was carried out on 69 women who consumed six date fruits per day for 4 weeks prior to their estimated date of delivery, compared with 45 women who consumed none. There was no significant difference in gestational age, age and parity between the two groups. The women who consumed date fruit had significantly higher mean cervical dilatation upon admission compared with the non-date fruit consumers (3.52 cm vs 2.02 cm, p < 0.0005), and a significantly higher proportion of intact membranes (83% vs 60%, p = 0.007). Spontaneous labour occurred in 96% of those who consumed dates, compared with 79% women in the non-date fruit consumers (p = 0.024). Use of prostin/oxytocin was significantly lower in women who consumed dates (28%), compared with the non-date fruit consumers (47%) (p = 0.036). The mean latent phase of the first stage of labour was shorter in women who consumed date fruit compared with the non-date fruit consumers (510 min vs 906 min, p = 0.044). It is concluded that the consumption of date fruit in the last 4 weeks before labour significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labour, and produced a more favourable, but non-significant, delivery outcome. The results warrant a randomised controlled trial.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mp3mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

So now you tell me, lol!

cleanaturalady
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, before I opened this to read it, I wasn't think eat a date, but rather, scheduling eating dates.  I think I need that nap now. 

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

that's pretty much what the others ladies said too. LOL

Quoting mp3mom:

So now you tell me, lol!

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Lol, before I opened this to read it, I wasn't think eat a date, but rather, scheduling eating dates.  I think I need that nap now. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM
LOL

Quoting cleanaturalady:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Not sure I believe it but it wouldn't hurt to try, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:50 AM

LOL!  You crack me up!

Quoting cleanaturalady:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Yep, I was thinking the same thing...I never went into labor though...

Quoting mypbandj:

Not sure I believe it but it wouldn't hurt to try, right?

SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

interesting

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:36 PM

interesting indeed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN