Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What your sleeping position says about YOU.

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Sleep Positions and Your Personality

Your sleep positionThe position you sleep in can reveal your true personality, or that of your bed partner. Scientists are finding that the position a person sleeps in is an indication of the type of person they are.

The Director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, Professor Chris Idzikowski, has looked at the six most common sleeping postions and found that each one corresponds to a certain type of personality.

“We are all aware of our body language when we are awake but this is the first time we have been able to see what our subconscious posture says about us. What’s interesting is that the profile behind the posture is often very different from
what we would expect.”

Sleep Positions

Get what you always wantedAccording to Professor Idzikowski there are six basic positions that people sleep in.

1. The Fetus (41%)
Women are twice as likely to sleep in this curled up position as men. Those who sleep in this position seem tough on the outside but they have a “big heart”. You may be shy at the first but you warm up quickly and get relaxed.

2. The Log (15%)
You generally sleep on your side and have both arms also down by your side. You are easy going and social and trusting of strangers, a trait that can make you gullible.

Your sleep postion and your personality

3. The Yearner (13%)
You tend to sleep on your side with both of your arms out in front of your body.  You have a open nature but you can be suspicious and cynical. You take your time to make a decision, but once you do you won’t change your mind.

4. The Soldier (8%)
You like to sleep on your back and you keep your arms pinned to your sides, close to your body.  You don’t like to fuss, you are reserved and quiet. You set a high standard for yourself and those around you. You have been known to snore the paint off your walls.

5. The Freefall (7%)
You prefer to sleep on your stomach with you hands wrapped around your pillow and your head turned to one side. You are outgoing and brash but you are also very uncomfortable with criticism or extreme situations.

6. The Starfish (5%)
You like to lie on your back and keep your arms up and around your pillow. You are a good friend who is always ready to listen and offer help when you can. You also avoid the spotlight as you dislike being the center of attention.

The rest of the respondents either did not know or they sleep in a different position every night.

Your Sleep Position and Your Health

Professor Idzikowski also examined the effect of various sleeping positions on health. He concluded that the freefall position was good for digestion, while the starfish and soldier positions were more likely to lead to snoring and a bad night’s sleep.

Professor Idzikowski said: “Lying down flat means that stomach contents can more readily be worked back up into the mouth, while those who lie on their back may end up snoring and breathing less well during the night. Both these postures may not necessarily awaken the sleeper but could cause a less refreshing night’s sleep.”

Professor Idzikowski also found that one in ten people like to cover themselves entirely with the duvet but one arm or leg sticking out of the duvet is Britain’s most common position, followed by both feet poking out the end (to keep those hot feet cooled off).

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mp3mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Interesting. I'd just heard or read something like this; I'm a #1

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I don't fit any of those but dh and o share the same position preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cleanaturalady
by Kim on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I am a yearner/fetus hybrid. ;)

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I need one that for when your children still sleep in your bed.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Same here!

Quoting cleanaturalady:

I am a yearner/fetus hybrid. ;)

bhwrn1
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I start as a freefaller and end up as a soldier! LOL!

SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I am both of these, or well... a combination of the two

3. The Yearner (13%)
You tend to sleep on your side with both of your arms out in front of your body.  You have a open nature but you can be suspicious and cynical. You take your time to make a decision, but once you do you won’t change your mind.

5. The Freefall (7%)
You prefer to sleep on your stomach with you hands wrapped around your pillow and your head turned to one side. You are outgoing and brash but you are also very uncomfortable with criticism or extr

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I used to ALWAYS "freefaller" sleep and then i started having babies.  LOL

Quoting bhwrn1:

I start as a freefaller and end up as a soldier! LOL!

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM

interesting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)