Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

What are your thoughts when you see an obese person?

I'll be honest, I'm overweight (some might say obese) myself.  I did however lose about 85-90 lbs a few years ago, I've gained much of it back though.

After I'd lost the weight I would always think to myself, I wish that person would go with me to Weight Watchers.  Or I'd think that the person shouldn't park so close to the doors of the grocery store (or mall or wherever).  

It seemed like I'd forgotten where I'd come from, in a way.  I don't like to be judged so I always felt bad "judging" others.

What do you think when you see someone with weight issues?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Replies (21-29):
Stefanie83
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I understand what you're saying.  I've lost 90 myself and sometimes I'll think "Oh I wish I could tell that person about myfitnesspal or _this_ or _that_ exercise...". Then I stop myself and remember that I'm judging them.  I'm assuming they *want* to lose weight and maybe they don't.  And I don't know if they've recently lost 100 lbs or recently gained 100. And I don't know anything about their health. And of course I know that being obese doesn't make them any less worthy, intelligent, friendly, etc, etc, etc. 

Honestly, I have always noticed if people are obese.  When I was 85 lbs overweight and now.  I think almost anyone notices someone's weight just like they notice their hair, their clothes, etc.  I've always noticed fit people too and I used to always imagine to myself that they had recently lost 100 lbs to motivate myself.

Stefanie83
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Buggy *giggles* lol.  sorry that term has always made me giggle. to me, it's a cart.

Have you seen that What Would You Do Show where they have actors do rude stuff and then see how others react? I saw one where an obese woman and her daughter had a cart of junk and someone was attacking them about it and I think my blood pressure went sky high. I'll never watch that show again!  :P

Also, I know some people disagree but imo meat is healthy :)

Quoting mypbandj:

What are your thoughts about a person who is thin pushing the same buggy with junk food?

What are your thoughts if the person who is overweight has a buggy full of healthy choices?

Quoting kitty8199:

Unless I'm a at a grocery store and they have a buggy full of junk, i don't think anything. If you're obese and have a cart full of coke, chips, cookies, meat, nothing healthy, i see why. I never make looks, never say anything, but know they brought it on themselves.

fullxbusymom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Nothing....Plain and simple not my business.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Well said...couldn't agree more!

Quoting fullxbusymom:

zuverlassig2jl
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:42 AM
Ill be honest, I try not to think any thing. My FIL is mobidly obese and also completely lazy, codisending, a know it all and he throws fits about his food if it isn't prepared how he likes or how his mom made it. He's 70 and still harrasing his wife to cook like his mother. He weighs close to 400 lds and won't get up from the couch except to go to the table to eat, or go to the bed room to sleep, but my MIL brings him evetything all day long out side of dinner. He discusts me, but I'm sure part of that is his nasty, lazy and crazy personality. I don't let it effect how I feel about every one. The standards for "obese" don't look or feel the same on every one. I know many supper active and very happy, as well as beautiful people, that have a BMI of 30 or slightly over. Morbid odesity is amother issue. I try not to throw these people in the same group with my FIL. I initially find that I'm discusted, then ashamed of myself for feeling that way,( I realize its not kind or right, who am I to judge any one) and then I get sort of fearful about my self as I could stand to lose 10 or 15 lbs, its tough with the holidays, the pies, stuffing, sweetpotoes and cookies get me every time! It must stop! I work out evety day tjougb and fitness is a big part of my life, so I am bias. It goes both ways. The FIL used to alwsys accuse me of being anorexic because I workout, run, and love to be active. I also used to watch every thing I eat. This all completely irritated him and I was always dealing with nasty and belittling comment from him. He is such a misserable person. Thank god I don't have to see him much any more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I don't usually think anything

Vertical15
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It really depends on where I see them and what they are doing.  If they are at the gym then I give them a mental kudos for being there.  IF they are walking/getting a move on, also mental kudos.

If they are riding around in a scooter but getting up to do stuff (ie-they don't really need the scooter) then I just shake my head-actually thats for obese or not.

I am also obese-I've lost 70 lbs and counting but have about that much to go and I try not to judge harshly.  You never know someone's story.

cleanaturalady
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yea, you can be thin and unhealthy too.

Quoting mypbandj:

What are your thoughts about a person who is thin pushing the same buggy with junk food?

What are your thoughts if the person who is overweight has a buggy full of healthy choices?

Quoting kitty8199:

Unless I'm a at a grocery store and they have a buggy full of junk, i don't think anything. If you're obese and have a cart full of coke, chips, cookies, meat, nothing healthy, i see why. I never make looks, never say anything, but know they brought it on themselves.

cleanaturalady
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Well said.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)