Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I saw this on my FB time line and was like "aawww poor onion" LOL

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

awww lol

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Really?  I'm totally going to try that.  Does it matter if the candle is scented or not?

Quoting e-doolittle:

I am really sensitive to onions. This cuts down the intensity quite a bit.

Quoting mypbandj:

I heard that burning a candle helps with that problem.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, poor onion.  I'll say that i'm crying "tears of joy" the next time i peel one.  LOL!

Quoting SabrinaLC:

awww lol

mp3mom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Cute :)

CrazedMomof2
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

HAHAHAHA

LuvMySavage
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Lol. That's cute. I cry, but not so bad that I don't chop onions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
e-doolittle
by Kelly on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I don't think so.

Quoting Alyson121:

Really?  I'm totally going to try that.  Does it matter if the candle is scented or not?

Quoting e-doolittle:

I am really sensitive to onions. This cuts down the intensity quite a bit.

Quoting mypbandj:

I heard that burning a candle helps with that problem.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Sharpen your knives.

We cry because the juice is flung back on us from the knives that we are using not actually slicing the onion but kinda squishing it. 

Sharpen the knives, and steel them as well to get off the burs of metal on the sharp edge. 

It will keep you from crying. I used to hate chopping onions, I would put a wet washcloth over my eyes and stick my head in the freezer for the longest time. I went to culinary school and ever since then I have yet to cry again. All because I steel my blades before use, and I keep them sharpened.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

hahahahahah!!!!!! well i kind of sob when i cut onions. so bad that i plan recipes ahead of time and make dh chop them and put them in a tupperware for all my meals for the week so that i don't have to do it.

EthansMomma2010
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Interesting

Quoting Basherte:

Sharpen your knives.

We cry because the juice is flung back on us from the knives that we are using not actually slicing the onion but kinda squishing it. 

Sharpen the knives, and steel them as well to get off the burs of metal on the sharp edge. 

It will keep you from crying. I used to hate chopping onions, I would put a wet washcloth over my eyes and stick my head in the freezer for the longest time. I went to culinary school and ever since then I have yet to cry again. All because I steel my blades before use, and I keep them sharpened.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

hahahahahah!!!!!! well i kind of sob when i cut onions. so bad that i plan recipes ahead of time and make dh chop them and put them in a tupperware for all my meals for the week so that i don't have to do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It does work. I don't cry at home with onions anymore either. I use onions a lot. Not in the past couple of weeks. Normally, I use about 6 onions in a week. Differing sizes.

The way we were taught to slice an onion also helps. You use less strokes of the knife. 

I'd have to look up a video of it though. Try youtube. If you don't find one, I'll see if I can find one when my son goes up for a nap in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Interesting

Quoting Basherte:

Sharpen your knives.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN