Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Healthy Eating Habits Start Early

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 38 Replies

Do you ever feel like just slapping a mother for what she is feeding her family, well the thought crossed my mind on Saturday morning.  My family was taking an early morning ferry ride from Seattle, WA to Bremerton, WA, the ride takes about 1 hour.  We got the first boat at 6:00 am.

OK, I have to admit, we were in a rush, and we got Egg McMuffins for breakfast, which is something I almost never have.  I cannot even remember the last time I had one before then.  We almost always have a healthy breakfast.

There was a mother on the boat with about 5 kids.  She was rather heavy, but the kids were average size probably ranging in age from 5 to 15.  Their breakfast consisted of Cheetos and Orange Crush.  And here I am feeling guilty about the Egg McMuffins.  I felt like saying something, as the boat was pretty empty, but I held myself.  I did not want my daughter to see what they were having for breakfast, as I would not want her to get any ideas.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. Maybe they were splurging also? How do you know? When we travel we usually eat worse than we normally do. I would hate to be judged........... 

Amanda52007
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this
As you were eating an egg mcmuffin.

Maybe she rushed out of the house and had to stop and get something super cheap.

Maybe they were splurging.

Last weekend, we got some leftover cupcakes from my SILs bday party...so me and the kids had cupcakes (2 apiece) for breakfast. It was a treat, that hardly ever happens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm a food snob, I have no issue admitting to that.  When I see people feeding theirselves and their children anything other than what I would feed my family I judge.  Am I going to say something to them? No!  It's not my place to tell her how to feed herself and her family.

Not everyone is as educated when it comes to nutrition.   I'll continue to feed my children the way I see fit and leave everyone else alone.  If they want help or suggestions I'm sure they'll go looking for it.

CrazedMomof2
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I get what you're saying. I do have judgements towards people I know who ALWAYS feed their kids crap. (and to my friends, I've voiced some concerns on occasion) But to see a stranger one time, I wouldn't think much of it. I guess I just don't care. LOL

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I'm a food snob, I have no issue admitting to that.  When I see people feeding theirselves and their children anything other than what I would feed my family I judge.  Am I going to say something to them? No!  It's not my place to tell her how to feed herself and her family.

Not everyone is as educated when it comes to nutrition.   I'll continue to feed my children the way I see fit and leave everyone else alone.  If they want help or suggestions I'm sure they'll go looking for it.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a bit of a food snob myself.  I *side eye* people for things in their cart at Whole Foods, for crying out loud. Hubby is actually worse than me AND he always has conversations with people about food but they seem to enjoy it.  LOL

Quoting SabrinaLC:

mp3mom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I know. I felt the same whenever I saw kids drinking juice; why not water?

Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

And would i say anything to a stranger, nope.  If they asked, then that's a different story.  When we're out with our children on road trips and HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time, they already know we do not stop at any chain/fast food restaurants to eat.  I typically pack what's needed the night before or wait until we can get to a natural grocer or local cafe that we trust.

FlyingMommy747
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Quoting Alyson121:

And would i say anything to a stranger, nope.  If they asked, then that's a different story.  When we're out with our children on road trips and HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time, they already know we do not stop at any chain/fast food restaurants to eat.  I typically pack what's needed the night before or wait until we can get to a natural grocer or local cafe that we trust.

Normally, we do that also, but we wanted to make sure we made the ferry before the Thanksgiving rush.  We found out the evening before that a Collie puppy was available, and we had been searching for months.  It was either go to the pet store so we could bring the puppy back on the ferry (we needed a carrier) or healthy food and no puppy.  The lines for the ferry on Sunday were outrageous and not something I would want to do with my 4 year old.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Um, no I don't judge others for what they feed their children...not my place.  And I honestly don't care what others feed their children.  I care about what I feed my child and my child only.

If a stranger came up and said something to me about what I fed my child, I would probably slap him or her myself!  Not your place and none of your business!  Your daughter will see ALL kinds of things in her life and you can't shelter her from that.  Who cares if she sees another child eating junk food for breakfast?  She might ask you for it, but all you have to do is say no to her, as you're the parent and the one in charge anyway.  

Not trying to be rude, but why not mind your own business and leave others alone?  Who cares what she feeds her kids?  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Well said Sabrina:)  

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)