Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Healthy Eating Habits Start Early

Do you ever feel like just slapping a mother for what she is feeding her family, well the thought crossed my mind on Saturday morning.  My family was taking an early morning ferry ride from Seattle, WA to Bremerton, WA, the ride takes about 1 hour.  We got the first boat at 6:00 am.

OK, I have to admit, we were in a rush, and we got Egg McMuffins for breakfast, which is something I almost never have.  I cannot even remember the last time I had one before then.  We almost always have a healthy breakfast.

There was a mother on the boat with about 5 kids.  She was rather heavy, but the kids were average size probably ranging in age from 5 to 15.  Their breakfast consisted of Cheetos and Orange Crush.  And here I am feeling guilty about the Egg McMuffins.  I felt like saying something, as the boat was pretty empty, but I held myself.  I did not want my daughter to see what they were having for breakfast, as I would not want her to get any ideas.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Replies (31-38):
jlbelknap35
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Amanda52007:

As you were eating an egg mcmuffin.

Maybe she rushed out of the house and had to stop and get something super cheap.

Maybe they were splurging.

Last weekend, we got some leftover cupcakes from my SILs bday party...so me and the kids had cupcakes (2 apiece) for breakfast. It was a treat, that hardly ever happens.

Exactly! You dont know there story so I don't think you should judge. After several things have gone on in my life that have changed my views on things I realized unless you know the full story and should not judge. 

Stefanie83
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I would have just assumed it was a once in a while thing .

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM
I was just reading on fb how someone was upset how the school was feeding the kids Cheetos for lunch. She even called them and was told the USDA considers Cheetos to be a serving of wheat.

Can you believe that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM

There are many who need to hear everything you just typed . . . starting with "let me show you how to boil  an egg."  Folks are overwhelmed before  they even start.

Quoting LindaClement:

Regarding the 'time' issue:

Two things. First, I'm often astonished how much time and effort goes into the crap --if you buy, say, 2 hard-cooked eggs at the deli counter. They're like $2 here. Now, I can buy a dozen eggs, hardboil every one of them in 17 minutes, for $2 plus the heat and water involved, call it another 9 cents. That's for 12, which will last in the fridge the better part of three weeks... should anyone allow them to stay there so long.

For 12, the $2/pr ones are $6. For a LOT of people, that's a significant portion of an hour's work (after taxes and deductions...) to avoid having to spend 12 seconds poking holes in the ends, another half minute filling a pot and turning on the stove... then after you've had a nap or read a magazine or had a couple of shots, you have to turn down the heat... after you have a quickie or alphabetize your socks or whatever, you have to remove the pan from the heat and let cold water pour over it until they're cool.

Man. The struggle. And the cost: 34 cents for 2! How can we endure it?!?

What would you rather do: more than half an hour of work at work so you can buy some more 'convenience', or spend 2.4 minutes 'doing' something in between commercial breaks? (People very rarely think of how much work they have to do to 'save' themselves 15 minutes effort...)

Second: it's OFTEN not actually faster. I can make pizza in less time than it takes to get Dominoes to my door --not including the time it takes to place the order.

I can make stir-fry for 6 adults in under half an hour --usually, three different dishes. In 45 minutes, it can include steamed brown rice.

I have multiple pasta dishes that I can make in the time it takes the pasta to cook ... some, not even including the time it takes the water to come to a boil first.

In the time it takes to wait in the drive thru, order, pay and receive the order, I'm already sitting down eating my curried quinoa pilaf, salmon fillets and fresh tossed salad with homemade dressing. Even if I have to go through the horrors of actually having to wash the lettuce myself.

It takes shopping well: buying things that cook fast (even knowing what they are!)... it's somewhat knowing your way around your own kitchen (I don't have to think which drawer anything is in, nor do I ever have to hunt for any ingredient or tool) ... and it's somewhat a willingness to try substitutions or creative additions when you don't have all of what the recipe calls for.

I also have the tools that make a lot of it faster: a pressure cooker (well...3 actually) which makes the really cheap foods super-fast to prepare (baked beans in 40 minutes? Yes, I can do that.) Good, sharp knives. Plenty of cutting boards and measuring spoons (so I never have to stop to wash anything when I'm in a hurry.)

I agree, people do the 'best they can'... it's just that their standards aren't very high, and they lack any eagerness to get any better at it.

Quoting Alyson121:

I do understand why people buy the items they buy though. I realize most people don't have the time to cook foods  from fresh. Plus allot of people never really learned to cook, so they do the  best they can. 

OliviasMommy611
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I can't imagine you getting mad! You are so sweet!!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Um, no I don't judge others for what they feed their children...not my place.  And I honestly don't care what others feed their children.  I care about what I feed my child and my child only.

If a stranger came up and said something to me about what I fed my child, I would probably slap him or her myself!  Not your place and none of your business!  Your daughter will see ALL kinds of things in her life and you can't shelter her from that.  Who cares if she sees another child eating junk food for breakfast?  She might ask you for it, but all you have to do is say no to her, as you're the parent and the one in charge anyway.  

Not trying to be rude, but why not mind your own business and leave others alone?  Who cares what she feeds her kids?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM
The iorny in this story made me laugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Not always:)  And not when it comes to people being rude and intrusive about my child:)  LOL!

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

I can't imagine you getting mad! You are so sweet!!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Um, no I don't judge others for what they feed their children...not my place.  And I honestly don't care what others feed their children.  I care about what I feed my child and my child only.

If a stranger came up and said something to me about what I fed my child, I would probably slap him or her myself!  Not your place and none of your business!  Your daughter will see ALL kinds of things in her life and you can't shelter her from that.  Who cares if she sees another child eating junk food for breakfast?  She might ask you for it, but all you have to do is say no to her, as you're the parent and the one in charge anyway.  

Not trying to be rude, but why not mind your own business and leave others alone?  Who cares what she feeds her kids?  

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM

True. :D

But, otoh, it is possible to come back and refer to it later... you know... when you've found out how :D

Quoting Alyson121:

There are many who need to hear everything you just typed . . . starting with "let me show you how to boil  an egg."  Folks are overwhelmed before  they even start.

Quoting LindaClement:

Regarding the 'time' issue:

Two things. First, I'm often astonished how much time and effort goes into the crap --if you buy, say, 2 hard-cooked eggs at the deli counter. They're like $2 here. Now, I can buy a dozen eggs, hardboil every one of them in 17 minutes, for $2 plus the heat and water involved, call it another 9 cents. That's for 12, which will last in the fridge the better part of three weeks... should anyone allow them to stay there so long.

For 12, the $2/pr ones are $6. For a LOT of people, that's a significant portion of an hour's work (after taxes and deductions...) to avoid having to spend 12 seconds poking holes in the ends, another half minute filling a pot and turning on the stove... then after you've had a nap or read a magazine or had a couple of shots, you have to turn down the heat... after you have a quickie or alphabetize your socks or whatever, you have to remove the pan from the heat and let cold water pour over it until they're cool.

Man. The struggle. And the cost: 34 cents for 2! How can we endure it?!?

What would you rather do: more than half an hour of work at work so you can buy some more 'convenience', or spend 2.4 minutes 'doing' something in between commercial breaks? (People very rarely think of how much work they have to do to 'save' themselves 15 minutes effort...)

Second: it's OFTEN not actually faster. I can make pizza in less time than it takes to get Dominoes to my door --not including the time it takes to place the order.

I can make stir-fry for 6 adults in under half an hour --usually, three different dishes. In 45 minutes, it can include steamed brown rice.

I have multiple pasta dishes that I can make in the time it takes the pasta to cook ... some, not even including the time it takes the water to come to a boil first.

In the time it takes to wait in the drive thru, order, pay and receive the order, I'm already sitting down eating my curried quinoa pilaf, salmon fillets and fresh tossed salad with homemade dressing. Even if I have to go through the horrors of actually having to wash the lettuce myself.

It takes shopping well: buying things that cook fast (even knowing what they are!)... it's somewhat knowing your way around your own kitchen (I don't have to think which drawer anything is in, nor do I ever have to hunt for any ingredient or tool) ... and it's somewhat a willingness to try substitutions or creative additions when you don't have all of what the recipe calls for.

I also have the tools that make a lot of it faster: a pressure cooker (well...3 actually) which makes the really cheap foods super-fast to prepare (baked beans in 40 minutes? Yes, I can do that.) Good, sharp knives. Plenty of cutting boards and measuring spoons (so I never have to stop to wash anything when I'm in a hurry.)

I agree, people do the 'best they can'... it's just that their standards aren't very high, and they lack any eagerness to get any better at it.

Quoting Alyson121:

I do understand why people buy the items they buy though. I realize most people don't have the time to cook foods  from fresh. Plus allot of people never really learned to cook, so they do the  best they can. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)