Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Healthy Eating Habits Start Early

Do you ever feel like just slapping a mother for what she is feeding her family, well the thought crossed my mind on Saturday morning.  My family was taking an early morning ferry ride from Seattle, WA to Bremerton, WA, the ride takes about 1 hour.  We got the first boat at 6:00 am.

OK, I have to admit, we were in a rush, and we got Egg McMuffins for breakfast, which is something I almost never have.  I cannot even remember the last time I had one before then.  We almost always have a healthy breakfast.

There was a mother on the boat with about 5 kids.  She was rather heavy, but the kids were average size probably ranging in age from 5 to 15.  Their breakfast consisted of Cheetos and Orange Crush.  And here I am feeling guilty about the Egg McMuffins.  I felt like saying something, as the boat was pretty empty, but I held myself.  I did not want my daughter to see what they were having for breakfast, as I would not want her to get any ideas.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Replies (11-20):
kitty8199
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I do sometimes think poor kids. I have a friend who never serves veggies bc dad doesn't like them. The entire family is overweight. Its like he is a grown man, so you can't make him eat, but you can start your kids on the right foot. Nothing but junk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Cant believe you were judging her when you guys were eating egg mcmuffins. I would have been judging u! There are healthier choices there, as simple as not getting it with the gross ,fatty greasy , meat ewww!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Agree with you! However, i cant bite my tongue when it comes to my parents and siblings. My three year old nephew is 74 lbs...obese...imagine how he is fed..its so sad:(

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I'm a food snob, I have no issue admitting to that.  When I see people feeding theirselves and their children anything other than what I would feed my family I judge.  Am I going to say something to them? No!  It's not my place to tell her how to feed herself and her family.

Not everyone is as educated when it comes to nutrition.   I'll continue to feed my children the way I see fit and leave everyone else alone.  If they want help or suggestions I'm sure they'll go looking for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amanda52007
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM
I gave my 22 month old a sucker while shopping in the grocery store.

I'm sure I could've found a gluten free, no sugar added, completely organic, free of dyes and preservatives snack cake..but...I didn't. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMySavage
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a HUGE food snob also. I would never say anything to a stranger, but I do judge... a lot.

I would never feed my child, nor myself, Orange Crush, cheetos, or McDonalds. Ever. For any reason.

Quoting SabrinaLC:

I'm a food snob, I have no issue admitting to that.  When I see people feeding theirselves and their children anything other than what I would feed my family I judge.  Am I going to say something to them? No!  It's not my place to tell her how to feed herself and her family.

Not everyone is as educated when it comes to nutrition.   I'll continue to feed my children the way I see fit and leave everyone else alone.  If they want help or suggestions I'm sure they'll go looking for it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by *Suzanne* on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha! This is so me! I'm like, really, organic cookies are still cookies.
I admit, I would make snap judgments if I saw that (WHEN I see things like that). I know we rarely know the whole story, we don't know if that was a treat, all the mom could scrape together for whatever reason, etc. I try not to judge, because here I am on my iPhone with a Saks purse using my food stamps. But my iPhone we got with a free gift card, and my purse is from Goodwill. I've learned not to judge too much, but I admit I do still judge some.
It's hard working in the hospital during clinicals (in nursing school), too, because I see all kinds of poor decisions, and part of me wants to step in all the dang time! In some situations, it IS my place, but in others, it is very much NOT. In L&D, where I am now (where my heart lies), I have very strong opinions about a lot of things related to pain management, circumcision, interventions, etc, and I have to work hard to put those aside and let each family/person do things their own way, and support them in that.

Quoting Alyson121:

I'm a bit of a food snob myself.  I *side eye* people for things in their cart at Whole Foods, for crying out loud. Hubby is actually worse than me AND he always has conversations with people about food but they seem to enjoy it.  LOL

Quoting SabrinaLC:

FlyingMommy747
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Um, no I don't judge others for what they feed their children...not my place.  And I honestly don't care what others feed their children.  I care about what I feed my child and my child only.

If a stranger came up and said something to me about what I fed my child, I would probably slap him or her myself!  Not your place and none of your business!  Your daughter will see ALL kinds of things in her life and you can't shelter her from that.  Who cares if she sees another child eating junk food for breakfast?  She might ask you for it, but all you have to do is say no to her, as you're the parent and the one in charge anyway.  

Not trying to be rude, but why not mind your own business and leave others alone?  Who cares what she feeds her kids?  

If you read my post, I did not say anything to her, and I did mind my own business.  I kinda felt sorry for the kids not being taught what they should be eating, and I did not want my daughter to think because she saw others do it, that it was ok for her to eat Cheetos and Orange Crush for breakfast, or any time.

fullxbusymom
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Yup I agree, this sums it up for me too.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Um, no I don't judge others for what they feed their children...not my place.  And I honestly don't care what others feed their children.  I care about what I feed my child and my child only.

If a stranger came up and said something to me about what I fed my child, I would probably slap him or her myself!  Not your place and none of your business!  Your daughter will see ALL kinds of things in her life and you can't shelter her from that.  Who cares if she sees another child eating junk food for breakfast?  She might ask you for it, but all you have to do is say no to her, as you're the parent and the one in charge anyway.  

Not trying to be rude, but why not mind your own business and leave others alone?  Who cares what she feeds her kids?  

fullxbusymom
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Well in a crunch you do what you have to do. My son had a sleepover a friends house this past weekend when I asked what they had for breakfast I was told cake. UGH!! I would never but not my business or my place to judge anyone else for what they do w/their own children especially without knowing the circumstances.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

If you read my post, I did not say anything to her, and I did mind my own business.  I kinda felt sorry for the kids not being taught what they should be eating, and I did not want my daughter to think because she saw others do it, that it was ok for her to eat Cheetos and Orange Crush for breakfast, or any time.

FlyingMommy747
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well in a crunch you do what you have to do. My son had a sleepover a friends house this past weekend when I asked what they had for breakfast I was told cake. UGH!! I would never but not my business or my place to judge anyone else for what they do w/their own children especially without knowing the circumstances.

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

In your situation, I probably would have said something, I would not be happy if someone fed my DD cake for breakfast.  I let a friend of mine babysit for my daughter once, and it was right after her birthday so she brought cupcakes.  I am not sure how many my DD had, but she was throwing up all night.  As parents it is our responsibility to look out for our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)