Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Edible Paint Icing, recipe follows
  • Garnish: silver dragees, sugar pearls, sparkling sugar

Directions

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and almond extract until combined.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until smooth. Wrap dough in heavy-duty plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with assorted snowflake cookie cutters and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Chill dough 15 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are very lightly browned. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Paint cookies with Edible Paint Icing. Garnish with silver dragees, sugar pearls and sparkling sugar, if desired.

Edible Paint Icing:

• 1/4 cup cold water
  • 3 tablespoons meringue powder
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • Food coloring, optional

In a medium bowl, combine water and meringue powder; whisk until foamy. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add food coloring, if desired. Use immediately.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Foodnetwork

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Replies (11-17):
GirlWithANikon
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM
These would be pretty with fluffy coconut
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM

YUM!

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Do you have one I could try?

Quoting LindaClement:

You need a recipe with less butter.

Quoting mypbandj:

Every single time I try to use cookie cutters, the dang cookie dough spreads during cooking and ruins my designs!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I have a great recipe --it's sugar cookie dough you can re-roll ... and it improves on rolling (rather than the usual kind that ends up as tiny bricks) getting less puffy over time.

Jane's Grandma's Sugar Cookies

2 c sugar
1 c butter
1 c lard
4 eggs, beaten
5 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp creme of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375F. Cream sugar and fats well, blend in eggs and then add the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Roll about 1/4" thick on a well-floured board (it's a very soft dough), cut and bake on ungreased sheets about 10 minutes, until just browning on the bottom. Makes about 8 dozen, depending on the size of cutter used. Divides and multiplies well.

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mypbandj:

Every single time I try to use cookie cutters, the dang cookie dough spreads during cooking and ruins my designs!!

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Thank you! I'll try it and let you know how it turns out. (Who is Jane?)

Quoting LindaClement:

I have a great recipe --it's sugar cookie dough you can re-roll ... and it improves on rolling (rather than the usual kind that ends up as tiny bricks) getting less puffy over time.

2 c sugar
1 c butter
1 c lard
4 eggs, beaten
5 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp creme of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375F. Cream sugar and fats well, blend in eggs and then add the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Roll about 1/4" thick on a well-floured board (it's a very soft dough), cut and bake on ungreased sheets about 10 minutes, until just browning on the bottom. Makes about 8 dozen, depending on the size of cutter used. Divides and multiplies well.

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Great recipe, thanks! I tried it last night. The cookies only spread a little bit compared to all over the place. I let my daughter have the left over dough and she rolled it and cut out cookies and then just rerolled it again. Finally, I had her put it in the fridge b/c it was so melty. When she finally took it back out and cooked her cookies, no spreading at all! So I don't know if that was the extra rolling or the refrigeration.

Quoting LindaClement:

2 c sugar
1 c butter
1 c lard
4 eggs, beaten
5 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp creme of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mypbandj:

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM

The extra rolling helps. The first bunch are always puffier and spread more than the later batches... of course, we always burn the first batch to a crisp, too :D

Quoting mypbandj:

Great recipe, thanks! I tried it last night. The cookies only spread a little bit compared to all over the place. I let my daughter have the left over dough and she rolled it and cut out cookies and then just rerolled it again. Finally, I had her put it in the fridge b/c it was so melty. When she finally took it back out and cooked her cookies, no spreading at all! So I don't know if that was the extra rolling or the refrigeration.

Quoting LindaClement:

2 c sugar
1 c butter
1 c lard
4 eggs, beaten
5 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp creme of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting mypbandj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)