Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I found this online, where if once you cut off the green parts, you can put the onion bulbs in water and they'll grow back.

We eat SO much of them, I figured I would give it a try to save some money.

I cut these off last Thursday. And you can tell where they are growing! The white outter part is where I cut...so all the green is new growth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Replies (11-18):
Amanda52007
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:25 PM
I'm not sure. Worth a try thought!

Quoting Alyson121:

I want to  buy some  green onions just to try it.  I pretty much us ALL the onion though.  The only part left are the tiny, tiny ends with those "hairy" tops.  Do you think it will work with just those?

Quoting Amanda52007:

I was going to ask the same question about cutting them.

You have to change the water often, or it will start to stink.

I put mine in a window seal with no direct sunlight. But maybe it does need direct sun, I don't know. Lol

Quoting Alyson121:

So you just cut off little pieces when you need them? Do you have to  keep adding water? Do they need sunlight or do you  put them anywhere in the kitchen?

Quoting Stacie03:

I have a vase of these in my kitchen window ATM. :) I have cut them probably 3/4 times now and they are still regrowing each time, so far.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mp3mom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Awesome!

Stacie03
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM
When I use them I cut them even with the top of the vase.
I change the water ever to every other day. If you didn't change it often it would get slimy and smelly and nasty.
Not sure about the sunlight. The window they are in gets direct light until 1ish in the afternoon. So maybe sunlight is a good thing.
This is the first time I've ever tried this so I'm learning as I go.

Quoting Alyson121:

So you just cut off little pieces when you need them? Do you have to  keep adding water? Do they need sunlight or do you  put them anywhere in the kitchen?

Quoting Stacie03:

I have a vase of these in my kitchen window ATM. :) I have cut them probably 3/4 times now and they are still regrowing each time, so far.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alyson121
by Alyson on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Totally going to try this.  Thanks!!

Quoting Stacie03:

When I use them I cut them even with the top of the vase.
I change the water ever to every other day. If you didn't change it often it would get slimy and smelly and nasty.
Not sure about the sunlight. The window they are in gets direct light until 1ish in the afternoon. So maybe sunlight is a good thing.
This is the first time I've ever tried this so I'm learning as I go.

Quoting Alyson121:

Quoting Stacie03:

Alyson121
by Alyson on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I'm excited now too.  LOL! I think my children are going to get a kick out of it as well.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Thats awesome. I make a taco dip with them and i make it alot so this would be nice to try.
cleanaturalady
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

That is excellent. 

Amanda52007
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I make something with green onions almost everyday. So this will be saving me money!

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Thats awesome. I make a taco dip with them and i make it alot so this would be nice to try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN