Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Heart Rate Monitor suggestions

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

What is the best heart rate monitor out there?  

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mp3mom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hi, I found this:

http://www.livestrong.com/search/?mode=standard&search=heartrate+monitors

musicpisces
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM

What are you looking for?  There's a myriad of them out there, and if you want something basic, I like my Timex T5G971, and I know Polar makes some good ones.  Mine tells you your HR, calories burned, time of workout, time "in the zone" (a zone you set), has a recovery mode, and can be worn as a regular wrist watch.  Some cheap models make you press the button in order to display your HR, which is BEYOND annoying.  The Timex is also very easy to use.  I need to replace my chest strap, because over the years, the seal for the battery part has worn down, so it doesn't work, but it's definitely served its time.  I may be upgrading to something fancier.  I'm drooling over Garmins (again, several levels of these), but it might be too much monitor for what I'm looking for.  I don't really need a GPS, because I always use RunKeeper on my phone to track my workouts.  But we'll see.  I'm looking at one of the Polar models, maybe.

I've heard good things about the Wahoo, which connects to your iPhone (via Bluetooth, if I remember right).  I haven't used it, but I'd rather have a watch to look at instead of having to dig out my iPhone every time I want to know how I'm doing.  But being able to track it on an app (or website) is a really nice feature the Timex is missing (and something I want to upgrade to).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Suzanne to the rescue!  She always has great info!  I have a Garmin FR60 fitness watch that I use for running and it has a HR monitor too.  It's nice but expensive:)

sjump25
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Thanks!

Quoting musicpisces:

What are you looking for?  There's a myriad of them out there, and if you want something basic, I like my Timex T5G971, and I know Polar makes some good ones.  Mine tells you your HR, calories burned, time of workout, time "in the zone" (a zone you set), has a recovery mode, and can be worn as a regular wrist watch.  Some cheap models make you press the button in order to display your HR, which is BEYOND annoying.  The Timex is also very easy to use.  I need to replace my chest strap, because over the years, the seal for the battery part has worn down, so it doesn't work, but it's definitely served its time.  I may be upgrading to something fancier.  I'm drooling over Garmins (again, several levels of these), but it might be too much monitor for what I'm looking for.  I don't really need a GPS, because I always use RunKeeper on my phone to track my workouts.  But we'll see.  I'm looking at one of the Polar models, maybe.

I've heard good things about the Wahoo, which connects to your iPhone (via Bluetooth, if I remember right).  I haven't used it, but I'd rather have a watch to look at instead of having to dig out my iPhone every time I want to know how I'm doing.  But being able to track it on an app (or website) is a really nice feature the Timex is missing (and something I want to upgrade to).

SabrinaLC
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Sarah ;-)

I have a semi cheap one, and to be honest, I have no idea what the brand is.  I've been using it since about halfway through month 1 of Insanity.  I can't even remember when that was!

Anyway, it works pretty well, I've never really had problems with it.  I'll upgrade eventually but for now I'm still using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C7WXUE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

sjump25
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks Sabrina!  My in laws want to get me one for Christmas.  They aren't hurting for money by any means so they told me to find the best brand  out there and let them know.  I have researched reviews, but they are so confusing! 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Hi Sarah ;-)

I have a semi cheap one, and to be honest, I have no idea what the brand is.  I've been using it since about halfway through month 1 of Insanity.  I can't even remember when that was!

Anyway, it works pretty well, I've never really had problems with it.  I'll upgrade eventually but for now I'm still using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C7WXUE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

crabbyD
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi! :)

I can't wait to hear which one you get.... I have that gaiam you saw on Amazon... Still works like a charm.

Quoting sjump25:

Thanks Sabrina!  My in laws want to get me one for Christmas.  They aren't hurting for money by any means so they told me to find the best brand  out there and let them know.  I have researched reviews, but they are so confusing! 

Quoting SabrinaLC:

Hi Sarah ;-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Love my Polar FT4.  I've had it for over a year now and used it probably 350+ times lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)