Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this offend you?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Jen
  • 26 Replies
if you had lost a lot of weight (80 lbs) and people kept commenting "wow you've lost weight!" Would you be offended?

My husband found out in late 2010 that his thyroid doesn't work at all. He had gone in to the dr because his health was getting bad (we thought or was just due to weight gain and this was his first step to making a change). But it turns out, all his issues, including the weight gain, were thyroid related.

So he started taking his thyroid meds, started eating better and started exercising. He now will run about 10 miles a day.

You don't have to be a scientist to figure out he has lost weight. A lot of weight. About 80 lbs!! He's never looked better! ;)

But he's so annoyed when all he hears from people, even people he isn't friends with, tell him "you've lost weight!" It really bothers him.

I don't *think* it would bother me. But I don't know. Would it bother you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

No, it wouldn't bother me at all.  If you've lost a significant amount of weight, what are people supposed to say?  It's nice for your accomplishment to get acknowledged.

reneawesley
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I don't think it would bother me. 

Stefanie83
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I get bothered by comments about my weight a lot.  I love to hear about it from my family and from people in my weight loss groups or on myfitnesspal, but I don't really like it when people at work comment on my weight.  But it also depends.  Like if one of my friends at work says "you look good, you've lost so much weight."  I just say thanks and I feel a little weird but it's ok.  If someone I don't really know asks me in the elevator how much weight I've lost I say "oh quite a few pounds" and I think it's annoying!  lol. the exception to that is when someone in another office who was really overweight like me asked about it, I felt really willing to talk to her about it because she said she wanted to lose 100 lbs.  Usually it's people who are like 5 lbs overweight or healthy weight talking about my weight and I don't like for attention to be drawn to my weight.

I really don't like it when people go on and on about how skinny I am and that "I need to stop" (whatever that means).  I'm far from skinny and I don't plan to stop eating healthy or exercising :P

And I've gotten some weird comments like asking me where I hid the missing body and one of my coworkers said that now he's going to be the fat one which I thought was extremely rude. but he says off things sometimes lol

I've lost 90 #s

CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

It does after awhile............. I've only lost about 45lbs though.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

No.  He needs to take it in stride and be proud of the health changes he's made.

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I think this is the part that bothers him the most. Its like someone is saying, "Hey, you used to look like crap!" Well, thank you, I guess. LOL

Congrats on your 90 lbs lost! Way to go!!

Quoting Stefanie83:

I get bothered by comments about my weight a lot.  I love to hear about it from my family and from people in my weight loss groups or on myfitnesspal, but I don't really like it when people at work comment on my weight.  But it also depends.  Like if one of my friends at work says "you look good, you've lost so much weight."  I just say thanks and I feel a little weird but it's ok.  If someone I don't really know asks me in the elevator how much weight I've lost I say "oh quite a few pounds" and I think it's annoying!  lol. the exception to that is when someone in another office who was really overweight like me asked about it, I felt really willing to talk to her about it because she said she wanted to lose 100 lbs.  Usually it's people who are like 5 lbs overweight or healthy weight talking about my weight and I don't like for attention to be drawn to my weight.

I really don't like it when people go on and on about how skinny I am and that "I need to stop" (whatever that means).  I'm far from skinny and I don't plan to stop eating healthy or exercising :P

And I've gotten some weird comments like asking me where I hid the missing body and one of my coworkers said that now he's going to be the fat one which I thought was extremely rude. but he says off things sometimes lol

I've lost 90 #s

Bertha21
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM
No, after I left high school I dropped 50 pounds! Lol When people would say that I lost a lot of weight and looked great I just felt proud.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeheleyLayna
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

It would bother me. Its great that they notice he has lost weight, and they want to compliment him on his big success, but time after time after time would really get on my nerves, and I wouldn't want to hear it anymore.

its kinda like women when they're pregnant... everyone you know or even strangers have to ask, is it a boy or girl, when are you do, or wow you look like you're gonna pop. its fine at first but then after people keep on, you just wanna tell them to shut up. ( speaking of.. when i was pregnant, i wanted to actually make a t-shirt that had my due date on it, the babys sex, and have it say i know i look like im going to pop you dont have to say it... but DH wouldn't let me lol.)

alc4evermom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Haha I go through this all of the time, and I guess what offends me is that there is more to my life than weight.  I had lost weight by my senior year of high school but people only remember me as being fat.  Therefore, I never say, "Wow you've lost weight" to other people.  It's objectifying. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM
That's a great point.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Haha I go through this all of the time, and I guess what offends me is that there is more to my life than weight.  I had lost weight by my senior year of high school but people only remember me as being fat.  Therefore, I never say, "Wow you've lost weight" to other people.  It's objectifying. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)