Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Would this offend you?

Posted by   + Show Post
if you had lost a lot of weight (80 lbs) and people kept commenting "wow you've lost weight!" Would you be offended?

My husband found out in late 2010 that his thyroid doesn't work at all. He had gone in to the dr because his health was getting bad (we thought or was just due to weight gain and this was his first step to making a change). But it turns out, all his issues, including the weight gain, were thyroid related.

So he started taking his thyroid meds, started eating better and started exercising. He now will run about 10 miles a day.

You don't have to be a scientist to figure out he has lost weight. A lot of weight. About 80 lbs!! He's never looked better! ;)

But he's so annoyed when all he hears from people, even people he isn't friends with, tell him "you've lost weight!" It really bothers him.

I don't *think* it would bother me. But I don't know. Would it bother you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Replies (21-26):
raegan1221
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Eh. I lost about 50 lbs and got a lot of compliments like that...someone even asked if I was on drugs LOL. I took the compliments and appreciated them and after awhile I was like humm....was I THAT fat? LOL. Then I looked at pictures and oh, yes I was hahaha. But I just blew it off..no biggie.

N_maricle
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM

People noticing weight loss would make me feel good. Noticing weight gain not so much...

Vertical15
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

It wouldn't bother me.  I worked hard to lose the weight I've lost so far and I love when people notice.  It means its working!

musicpisces
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I assume most people mean it in a good way when they mention my weight loss (over 100 lbs), so I don't take offense.  I just figure they think I look even better than I used to, rather than thinking they thought I looked like crap before.

The one thing that does bother me is that most people assume I had surgery to lose it.  Like it can't be done with diet and exercise, which is exactly how I've done it (and why it took 2.5 years).  I've known people who've had surgery and lied about it, but they lose that weight in like 6 months.  Then they have all this loose skin.  I've done it the old-fashioned way, kept the loose skin to a minimum, and learned habits to maintain my weight, and I sometimes feel like when people assume I had surgery, it diminishes the hard work I've put into it.  That said, I don't let what others think of me get to me for too long.  I didn't do this for them.  I did it for me.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Marti123
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I've never thought about this. I say this to people all the time, thinking they would take it as a compliment. "wow, you look great." Or "I'm so proud of you for making a change." etc. I feel bad, I never meant to annoy them.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Maybe it's just the repetitiveness of it all?  Kind of one of those "yes I know, I've lost weight... can we move on now"  moments?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)